Board index Photography Technical Questions Ideas needed for "About photography" presentation

Technical Questions

Ideas needed for "About photography" presentation

Discuss technical aspects of photography
orillia

Ideas needed for "About photography" presentation

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:54 pm

I've just been asked to explain cameras (still and video) and some aspects of photography to a group of Girl Guides ages 9-11 years old. I haven't accepted yet. I'm not quite sure what to say. Considering the age group, the first rule is: Keep it simple. My photography skill is as a hobbyist.

So I could use some help here to come up with some kind of presentation. At this point, I don't even know if there would be some kind of computer to view some photos on. I rarely print anything out.

One topic could be the Rule of Thirds (or at least my version of it) :D
Also, how candids, or not telling someone to stop what they are doing and smile for the camera, can make for good photos.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jypsee

rule of thirds seems

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:24 pm

too advanced for that age cohort; why not take a simpler approach and have the girls use a simple "mat" cut from cardboard to "frame" potential photos. Your assignment is to explain cameras and so make the lesson about how the camera "sees."

You could also ask the girls to bring their cameras or borrow a camera for the lesson...and try using the above tool to relate the whole exercise.

ericvision

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:29 pm

Perhaps you could bring along a selection of subjects and then demonstrate the effects of photographing them in different ways? If I were you I'd concentrate on composition rather than camera settings or exposure settings since they are pretty dull to non photographers.

Perhaps bring your camera and get each child to take 1 shot (use auto) of the subject in the way that they please. Or get them to photograph one another.

sher811

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:06 pm

How did it go?

did you already do this?

my dd is in Girl Scouts and recently completed her "camera shots badge"

they had a lady there explaining the difference between 35 mm and digital cameras (slr and not) and they also talked about different types of photography...portraits and landscapes

then they were all given 1 disposable camera to use on their weekend camping trip. and they were to take certain shots on the required list

then after the trip they learned about scrapbooking them to preserve their memories :)
Sher

Board index Photography Technical Questions Ideas needed for "About photography" presentation