Board index Photography Technical Questions teleconverter sigma 2x apo is good?

Technical Questions

teleconverter sigma 2x apo is good?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
petr_petr

teleconverter sigma 2x apo is good?

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi,
i like buy teleconverter sigma ex 2X apo,have macro 50mm and 400mm 5,6 sigma lenses and like go closer for nature shots,
any sugestions please?
It's working well with that lenses?
Quality and sharpnes goog?
Or avoid that,
thanx for any help!!!!! :idea:
Petr

dang

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:49 pm

The Sigma teleconverter probably won't work with your 50mm, as it's specific to certain lenses. Also, as a general rule a 2X doesn't give the best results. I'd suggest staying with a 1.4 or 1.5X instead. The 2X also costs 2 stops of light, which makes it unusable except for manual focus on many bodies...

You might instead want to look at the Kenko Pro 300 series 1.4X, which works on a wider variety of lenses. But I can't recommend it in a 2X version either.

petr_petr

New teleconwerter

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi foks,
finally i did buy that sigma apo x2 teleconverter for 90 euro new because it was bargain,i did try yesterday and result is fantastic with my sigma 400mm f5.6,just only,why is on camera f5.6 when should be f11 if i am not mistaking?
Cheers
PP

thazooo

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:19 pm

You do lose 2 stops of light, since your lens sends the f stop to the camera
your camera will show this number. The camera will compensate by adjusting the shutter speed. If without the TC you meter 1/500 at f5.6, with the TC you will meter 1/125 at f5.6

dang

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Glad it's working out for you, I'd love to see some photos taken with it if you wouldn't mind posting a link to them.

Board index Photography Technical Questions teleconverter sigma 2x apo is good?