Board index Photography Technical Questions Animal Photography at Night.

Technical Questions

Animal Photography at Night.

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ericvision

Animal Photography at Night.

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Looking for advice on photographing wild animals at night. I'm good at finding them, but don't wanna waste shots since it seems like a one shot deal most of the time!

I've already learned to charge my flash batteries before I go. Doh!

I'm using my Sigma 105mm f2.8 with Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash on 350D

How much distance can I expect to get?
How should I set the camera and flash for maximum distance?

Should I use the 100-400 L at 100mm instead (faster focusing, quieter, but f4 instead of 2.8 )?

Tips and Tricks please!

Ta :D

dang

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Steven you might like to check these out: http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/betterbeamer.html

I've heard some good things about them, but haven't yet tried one yet. But if you can get close enough with the 105mm to fill the frame, your flash should be more than enough to stop down some.

I also read a program is fixing animal "red eye", but can't recall which one it is. Maybe someone else has used it, or can at least remember if it's a newer PS, or something else.

If all else fails, it shouldn't take you but a couple of shots to decide which lens works best. But I'm thinking (depending on situation, of course) the long lens is what you'll end up using. The Beamer site should give you a good idea of what you can expect with it, and general wild life shooting. :wink:

Board index Photography Technical Questions Animal Photography at Night.