Board index Photography Technical Questions Have you ever shot a wedding?

Technical Questions

Have you ever shot a wedding?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
gpaai

Have you ever shot a wedding?

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 am

Today I was asked to shoot a wedding (something I told myself I would never do) for a close friend. I need any hints/details/do's & don'ts you are willing to share in order to pull this thing off.

I will be using my Canon 5D, so for lens(s) would I be better off using a prime such as a 35mm f/1.4L or maybe the 24-70mm 2.8L? Is it proper to shoot with flash or not?

What about the Bride and Groom shots as well as the Wedding Party? Is that pre or post wedding? I ask because I know there is that thing about the Groom seeing the Bride before the wedding.

Any good books out there?

Yes I'm freakin', I won't get a second chance at this, LOL!

Gary

Edit: I also have a 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8. I guess they would work well with the 5D though I can't see myself changing lenses in the middle of the ceremony.
I love photoshopography.......

tuckeruk

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:17 am

Yes I have.

My boss, also a friend (is that possible with a boss?) asked me (told me?) to shoot his as he liked my 35mm slides.

It was a disaster, me being a mere amateur photographer, the pressure getting to me, etc. etc.

My advice? Don't!

alexphotos

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:11 am

I shoot wedding.
I use 4 lenses only

For the ceremony I am with my 70-200 f2.8, so don’t need to stand close to the wedding party. Use flash as fill in or get one of those diffuser / reflector.

The rest of the time I am with my 24-105 with my flash.
I also use my 50mm 1.4 in low light.
And a macro for shooting the rings, but a crop on the 5D do well to.
Bring a lot of memory (I have 6x 2Gig Ultra II)
Note ask if the priest mind you using your flash, get a 550ex or 580ex

Get a second body, some store rent some for like 100$ a day, at the same time rent a 24-70 F2.8. Note this all depend on how much they are willing to pay. If you do it for free sue what you got.

The second body is really important so if you get a problem with you main you can still keep shooting, spare batteries (body's and flash's)

I recommend you do yourself a list of important shot and strike them out when you got them (take 2 of each even if you’re shooting in raw (SHOOT IN RAW!!!!)). Talk to the groom and bride before the ceremony and have signal that are simple like if you see the palm of my and stop and keep what you were doing, like for the sinning of the legal document, walking down, the first kiss........

Do a look out of the wedding place, take note of the direction of the sun at the time of the weeding, were would be the best place for the group shot (may not be on the stairs), were could you go and take artistic photos (park, fountain....) Ask the city if you need a license to shoot in public place and park...... (I know I got a fine last year for that (you need one in the city of Montréal))

What about the Bride and Groom shots: Depend some time they are before and some time they are after (don’t forget the photo in the car/limo (ask if you can ride with them to the after ceremony location) you can offer them to do a shoot in studio day before or after or same day to.

As well as the Wedding Party? I usually do them after the wedding and before the party.

Ask if they have traditions, these are good photos to grab. (Cufflinks, cigar with dad, braking of glass….)

The last thing they need to keep time for the photo in the planning of the day.

The first one is the hardest one.
Alexandre
Ps Shooting weeding is my side line (started for a friend 3 year ago)
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

alexphotos

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:18 am

For shots exemple you may try to get the Rangefinder magazine of march 2007

http://www.rangefindermag.com/index2.tml
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

gpaai

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks for all of the help... :D

rileypm

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:19 pm

My son asked if I would be the official photographer at his wedding earlier this month. I told him that if he wanted a collection of snapshots, then I was his man. If he wanted photos to frame and place on his mantle, he should hire someone who knew what wedding photography was all about. Now I don't know if he was just cheap or not but he now has quite a collection of wedding snapshots. (I did get the red eye out before I presented them to him.)

gpaai

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:38 pm

rileypm wrote:My son asked if I would be the official photographer at his wedding earlier this month. I told him that if he wanted a collection of snapshots, then I was his man. If he wanted photos to frame and place on his mantle, he should hire someone who knew what wedding photography was all about. Now I don't know if he was just cheap or not but he now has quite a collection of wedding snapshots. (I did get the red eye out before I presented them to him.)

I have no doubt that I could pull off shots and even give them some cool post edit images. The thing that is really freaking me out if forgetting some major portion of what might be considered a part of the whole package (i.e. the Groom and his family, the ring carrier, etc.).

alexphotos

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 pm

Make a list off all the shot htat you need and they would like to see. Make taht list in order of the wedding, So you know what you need to shoot next, you can find a lot of info on on-line site.

A quick list (not in order) would be:
Portraits :
Bribe and groom
Bribe with parents
Groom with parents
Bribe, with dress detail
Bribe with bribesmaids
The groom with his best man
The ring bearer and flower girl
The wedding party

Pre-service:
Bribe getting ready
Groom Getting ready
Bribe arriving venue

The Processional:
Entry of the parents
Entry of the bribe
Entry of the groom
Special guests
The weddidng Kiss

The recessional
The bride and groom as man and wife
Exit of the couple
Exit of the bridal party
The wedding kiss

The reception:
Signing of the guest book
the reception
Dancing with the bribe/groom
Cutting the weddinng cake
Departure of the couple

If you get all of theses and some other nice shot you will be fine.

normlynch

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 pm

If you can afford it then pick up the EOS 300D or 350D on the cheap as a second body and strap on the 50mm or 85mm just for portrait work and keep your kick ass 5D for the rest of the heavy work.

If you have a flash then use that, even outdoors. But only use it if your confident in setting it up properly as bad things can happen if you overexpose everything including that white dress.

Finally, relax and enjoy the experience of the day, it'll show in your final prints.

Norm...

gpaai

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:13 pm

normlynch wrote:If you can afford it then pick up the EOS 300D or 350D on the cheap as a second body and strap on the 50mm or 85mm just for portrait work and keep your kick ass 5D for the rest of the heavy work.

Actually I will be using my 20D as my back up.

If you have a flash then use that, even outdoors. But only use it if your confident in setting it up properly as bad things can happen if you overexpose everything including that white dress.

I use a 580EX with a diffuser

Finally, relax and enjoy the experience of the day, it'll show in your final prints.

The relaxing is the tough part.

annayu

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:30 am

Gary, you'll do fine, you're a great photographer and wedding photography isn't any different than other people photography, no matter what they say. If anything, it's even easier cos everyone is already dressed up, looking good, and actually want to have their pictures taken, Relax, bring a backup of everything, take it easy on the flash.

jypsee

the real problem is...

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:37 pm

that you're doing the photos for a friend; that always adds a little anxiety on top of everything else associated with photographing people. My suggestion is to get your "giving everyone orders" voice tuned up so you can herd the group as needed to get the photos the bride/groom want. Also, I'd have a second photographer on hand if this is a big wedding; it helps with the close ups and telephoto pictures and eases the pressure.

good luck!!

Board index Photography Technical Questions Have you ever shot a wedding?