Board index Photography Technical Questions Id like to flash !

Technical Questions

Id like to flash !

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ianko

Id like to flash !

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Ok so now I have your attention,

I recently bought a canon 550ex flash and off camera cord to use with my 20d.

Id really like your advice on how to get the best results from this combination.

This would be my first real adventure into flash photography as most of my work is either available light or night photography. So i guess what im asking for is an idiots guide to settings etc.

Probably you will ask what I am trying to achieve, well im trying to get away from the harshness of on camera flash, this will most likely be indoor stuff after dark. Or maybe fill type flash for outdoor use, again after dark.

So please please be kind and let me know your thoughts and advice.

Ian

billinchapelhill

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:29 pm

First off don't just rule out harsh directional flash. Learn how to make good images with this effect.

To further reduce flash, shoot in modes that allow to you reduce flash intensity from the shooting menu.

Expirement with positioning the external flash for best effect. One technique I use is to hand hold the flash in my left hand and the camera in my right hand.

Most importantly, you have plenty of gear now to get shots that approach studio quality--so start shooting with it and don't be satisfied until you see progress in your work.

I have many images in my galleries using directional flash if you want to see some examples. Here's a simple one using the same type of equipment setup you describe.

dang

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:11 pm

It's also good to use a softbox, or other diffuser to help soften the light. Or bounce it off ceilings, or walls depending on circumstance. There's also lots of good advice on the web you can find by searching google for flash techniques, or other similar keywords. While I rarely use flash for much other than macro work, I've seen results that could rival natural light.. only controlled. There's a definite art to it like other types of photography, so don't be afraid to experiment and shoot a lot. The biggest advantage digital has.. it doesn't cost when you mess up. :wink:

ianko

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks for your advice, I wasnt knocking direct flash more that when the flash is camera mounted then the results are less pleasing than those i have seen off camera as per the example you have posted.

I will be playing with settings etc to learn what I can but what I was kind of looking for was a starting point that may help me sidestep the first couple of lessons :)

I have also a lumiquest on flash soft box, its like a mini softbox so should help futher with softened shadows.

normlynch

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:52 am

ernst

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 am

Great site for learning off-camera flash:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/

jstuedle

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:11 am

ernst wrote:Great site for learning off-camera flash:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/

I second ERNST's opinion. Great site. I have been using this sites advise for sometime now. It has opened up a whole new avenue to my work. Check it out, you will be glad you did.
John
"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either."
Galen Rowell

freda_gary

flash tool

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:11 am

If you like to make flash, i can recommend a good website to you for downloading some flash tools, the website is : http://www.qweas.com/download/video_dvd/flash_tools/

:D :D :D

Board index Photography Technical Questions Id like to flash !