Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with noise...

Technical Questions

Help with noise...

Discuss technical aspects of photography
advntr8

Help with noise...

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:20 am

Without having to go to school for this, how do I reduce the noise in a picture when shooting in RAW or TIFF (as I have 2 different cameras) when working on it in photo shop? I have elements, Photoshop 7 and CS2. I am predominantly experimenting with Photo 7.

Second question; how does one know what to expect when ordering prints from the likes of shutterfly or any of the others that are used? I made some prints from the local photo developer at RiteAid, but they came out darker than I had adjusted. Any tips for the beginner? Plus, please give some input on my work if you like.... pbase gallery, advntr8
Thanks!

dang

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:10 am

Get a Noise Reduction program such as Neat Image. They have a free version that you can get, but it limits the size of photo it works with. Look through their site here: http://www.neatimage.com
There's also others that you can find by searching with google. :wink:

When ordering prints, you really don't know what you'll get until it's in your hand unless you use a more expensive custom lab. My suggestion would be to find one place, learn how they work and make adjustments to your files to compensate.

dougj

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 am

Short version – try Neat Image or Noise Ninja, both do a good job in reducing noise. Neat Image has a freebie/trial program, Noise Ninja might as well. Both programs get good reviews & recommendations from photogs. I’ve used NeatImage as a stand alone program, and it works very well. I currently use a homebrew action in PS that works for me.

Longer version – You probably know this stuff already. I try to start with getting the exposure right for the image, not always easy and I still end up with noise. I expose “to the rightâ€

sj_lm_haines

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:03 am

I'm with dougj with this one, get it right in the camera and you won't need to use the noise reduction software...... Do this by regularly checking the histogram and ensure the graph is not piled up on the left hand side. If it is use your camera's exposure compensation to increase the exposure, thus moving the graph to the right. A bit of practice and you should reduce your noise problems.

regards

Stephen

http://www.pbase.com/sj_lm_haines

advntr8

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 am

Sheesh. You guys are FAST posting replies. Thank you a ton! Actually, all are good tips and not something I know already. I'll do what we all must, and practice practice practice. I shall see what I come up with and give you forewarning that I likely will have more questions.

I like PBase. You guys are cool.
Mike

sean_mcr

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Exposing to the right is all well and good, but you may still find yourself in tough lighting conditions where higher a iso is a must. I expose to the right in light that requires iso 3200 at times and that's with an aperture of F1.4.

You're going to find yourself in different conditions and you're going to have to strike a balance between shutter/aperture/iso to get the right exposure. Noise ninja is very good noise reduction program, i don't threat too much about noise but it's a good program to own

As for your prints not coming out as you see them on screen. You need to calibrate your monitor. You're shooting in the dark otherwise and you'll be lucky to get a print that looks anything like what you're seeing on screen

Consider getting a spyder
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/arti ... r2pro.html

jstuedle

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:08 am

At highest ISO's try to overexpose by about 1/3 stop. a 1/2 stop if you can. Noise is worst when the camera's firmware is attempting to over amplify unexposed photosites on the sensor. This will go a long way in reducing noise and make your life in P-Shop a lot easier.
"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either."
Galen Rowell

dougj

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Noise originates primarily from the sensor, with some additional but lesser contribution by the electronics within the camera’s signal processing, converting the analog signal to digital.

The primary problem with observed image noise is one of the signal to noise ratio at the photo sites in the sensor. This means in relatively dark areas of a photo, there are relatively few photons striking the photosites that represent the detail in the image, yet the inherent photosite noise is still present. Consequently, the ratio of desired image signal to background noise is low.

ISO settings are basically levels of amplification applied to the composite sensor signal - the image component and the sensor & electronic noise component. The higher the ISO setting, the higher the amplification of both. The S/N ratio does not change.

Consider a stereo system in which there is a somewhat quiet section of music. If we turn the volume up to hear the passage, we will amplify both the music and the background noise, and we hear more noise. ISO settings are similar.

“Exposing to the rightâ€

Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with noise...