Board index Photography Technical Questions Just Got a Gary Fong Lightsphere - Help

Technical Questions

Just Got a Gary Fong Lightsphere - Help

Discuss technical aspects of photography
neovolatile

Just Got a Gary Fong Lightsphere - Help

Post Thu May 10, 2007 3:15 pm

I have a Canon 30D and Promaster 7500 flash.

There is a bikini shoot at sunset coming up at the beach.

Any advice about setting the camera with flash?

Thanks,
Ells

gilp

Re: Just Got a Gary Fong Lightsphere - Help

Post Thu May 10, 2007 4:39 pm

neovolatile wrote:I have a Canon 30D and Promaster 7500 flash.

There is a bikini shoot at sunset coming up at the beach.

Any advice about setting the camera with flash?

Thanks,
Ells

the lightphere is pretty straight forward... you just need to take command of your flash manually to compansate for the light drop off of the diffuser, generally +1 stop of what ever you meter should equate your open source flash...

I assume that you purchased your lightsphere because you have good to great control over your flash manually and that you want better diffusion over the beam...

if you are not too much experienced with manual flash control and are using camera mounted flash as a single lightsource...you should consider not using the sphere and trust your TTL system... otherwise you'll spend more time trying to understand how to adjust your flash than you will taking pics.

one thing is for sure... if you are using on camera mounted flash... and no fill or off camera key flash... you will not get great results... regardless of the toy you put at the end of the flash unit.

falk0289

Using the lightsphere

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:28 pm

I have found that there are a couple of tricks that work well with the Lightsphere. If you crank up the flash by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop and then change the exposure compensation on the camera to underexpose by 1/3, it will help out your exposures by a great deal. I have also found that you can shoot in Aperture Priority mode and leave the flash on TTL and, with this setup, it will perform very accurately. There definitely is a difference when using the Lightsphere though and it does a great job. http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=385

Board index Photography Technical Questions Just Got a Gary Fong Lightsphere - Help