Board index Photography Technical Questions Please explain to me why is any canon is better than nikon?

Technical Questions

Please explain to me why is any canon is better than nikon?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
attila_cseh

Please explain to me why is any canon is better than nikon?

Post Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 am

Ok, you guys can check is here on the Pbase,look this canon xti photos with Tamron 200-500mm:
http://www.pbase.com/bmullen/dunlins
or:
http://www.pbase.com/bmullen/shorebirdfavorites
and see with Nikon D200 example:
http://www.pbase.com/emcphotoart/inbox&page=4
And it is just one of the 100. Every sigma lens , like 100-300mm dg f4, with canon, 20d, 30d, amazing, with nikon d200 (more expensive)
is awfull!
Not sharp, i don't understand. Sigma tamron can't build a lens for nikon? Or just a canon cameras much better? I want to sell my fuji s3, because except portrai photos is suck, but i have no idea what will be a choice?
Nikon d200? or canon d5? 30d? Please help i have 2 grant for camera.Thank you!

djwixx

Post Fri May 11, 2007 5:06 am

Why would you buy a Mercedes or a BMW? Is one better than the other or is it just that you prefer one over another. That's the same for Nikon and Canon. Some people are snobs about Canons and some are snobs about Nikons. They are both renowned. The choice is yours.

What you are not taking into account is the user of the camera and how they use the camera and how they are post processing the pictures. Thre results you see may not actually be a reflection of the camera and its capabilities.

I make the above comments without looking at the links you've posted. It is normally considered impolite to link other peoples pictures or galleries without permission.

gilp

Post Fri May 11, 2007 12:06 pm

#1 Electronics is about R&D....and R&D requires funds... and who's the big boy of consumer and industrial electronics between the 2?

#2 While both brands have something to edge the other over... look at the product lineup and features.. sadly, everytime that Nikon comes up with a cool feature... Canon as the same improved feature for a bit less money..

#3 Studio market... well, if you are shooting studio and are not on MF... then you are on 1Ds2...

The one place where Nikon really kicks canon is with the d200... for the price... that's a great body.

In the end, it's all about glass... my partner shoots D2x because he owns 20 000$ of nikon glass and he knows it really well... I shoot 1Ds2 because I own Canon glass... "chose the glass and then attach body"

attila_cseh

ok..

Post Fri May 11, 2007 4:14 pm

I understand both of you. I didn't want to criticize Canon, or Nikon, my question was , same lens, like sigma 100-300mm, made for Nikon, or for Canon, doesn't matter what kind a camera, 500$ or 5000$ looks work much better with Canon!
Lot's of sigma lenses, my friend has a canon d30, i have a fuji s5, his sigma 100-300, or sigma 105mm, or tamron 200-500mm made much better photos than my same lenses, and i checked with d200 as well,so i talking about not a canon, and nikon lenses, i talking about Sigma, and tamron lenses.And not just my photos, i saw on pbase lot's of photos, and lenses made for Canon, seems to me much better.

gilp

Post Fri May 11, 2007 5:08 pm

In that case you are not comparing lenses but systems and bodies... aside from some mechanical and electronic differences, I am pretty sure that the glass elements are identical.

sean_mcr

Post Fri May 11, 2007 5:32 pm

It's too simplistic a question and there is no clear cut answer.

All's i know is that you can take a bad photo with any lens or camera. They are inanimate objects and will only give you what you put in to them. Some people are not as good as the gear they own, but nine times out of ten its the gear that gets the blame.

They're two great companies that have advanced photography, but they're not the only two

Steve McCurry is one of the best & most respected photographers in the world today. He shoots with Nikon and they are scalpels in his hands, but he is a master of his trade and he could bend most any tool to his will

http://www.stevemccurry.com/main.php

As John Lennon once said:

"I'm an artist, give me a F%&*in tuba and i'll get you something out of it"

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Fri May 11, 2007 5:37 pm

Canon have the edge on (a rough list!!):

R&D costs
hi ISO noise
Pro Bodies with the above characteristic

Nikon:

Ergonomics - the bodies just feel RIGHT

I'm a d200 user. i have some of Nikon's finest lenses - I don't really use Sigmas. Cast your eye of my later stuff. Let's hear your comments. Go on, dare you...

I'm not a Nikon fanboy however - I respect that Canon have a good edge & i'd be happy to add a 5d for it's ISO & FF, but it won't make me a better photographer, nor will it improve my shots by 75% in image quality.

sean_mcr

Post Fri May 11, 2007 6:15 pm

There's was an article on Mike Johnstons blog talking of the shock he had at Lloyd L. Chambers switch to Nikon.

"In a rather shocking turnaround, Lloyd L. Chambers of diglloyd recently announced that the upcoming EOS 1D Mk. III has him convinced. Check out his article "Goodbye Nikon?" As usual, it's an interesting, wide-ranging analysis. Especially interesting is his discussion, in the article, of what he feels is Canon's superior commitment to developing new prime lenses"

Here is chambers explanation for the switch

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/Goodb ... index.html

I'm playing devils advocate here guys. I use Canon but i'm not in to "bland loyalty"

gilp

Post Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 pm

a good camera will not make a bad picture good.... but good camera will make a great picture even greater.

in the digital age, the camera does count because the camera is also the film and it's also a significant part of the darkroom. Cameras are NOT create equal and now more than ever, cameras are purpouse built, regardless of the brand.

djwixx

Post Fri May 11, 2007 6:49 pm

sean_mcr wrote:There's was an article on Mike Johnstons blog talking of the shock he had at Lloyd L. Chambers switch to Nikon.

"In a rather shocking turnaround, Lloyd L. Chambers of diglloyd recently announced that the upcoming EOS 1D Mk. III has him convinced. Check out his article "Goodbye Nikon?" As usual, it's an interesting, wide-ranging analysis. Especially interesting is his discussion, in the article, of what he feels is Canon's superior commitment to developing new prime lenses"

I'm playing devils advocate here guys. I use Canon but i'm not in to "bland loyalty"

An interesting article and all good learning for a novice like me. The pro options are probably a little beyond the 'two grant" the original poster suggested they had to spent.

What would you buy with 'two grant'?

sean_mcr

Post Fri May 11, 2007 7:05 pm

gilp wrote:a good camera will not make a bad picture good.... but good camera will make a great picture even greater.

in the digital age, the camera does count because the camera is also the film and it's also a significant part of the darkroom. Cameras are NOT create equal and now more than ever, cameras are purpouse built, regardless of the brand.

You're 100% correct when you say cameras are not created equal Gilb. But then all photographers are not equals. How many times have you and i come across comments such as "wow great shot, what lens?" "I bet that camera takes good pictures"

To quote Michael Reichmann
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/sharp.shtml

Good Technique Trumps Sharp Optics:
"Now for one of the biggest truths of all. You can fret all you want about how sharp a given lens may be, but if your photographic technique isn't first rate, having a lens capable of producing high resolution and high contrast is hardly worth a damn"

Many people turn to their gear when something goes wrong rather then questioning their technique. If they did we'd see a lot less L lenses ect on ebay

sean_mcr

Post Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 pm

djwixx wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:There's was an article on Mike Johnstons blog talking of the shock he had at Lloyd L. Chambers switch to Nikon.

An interesting article and all good learning for a novice like me. The pro options are probably a little beyond the 'two grant" the original poster suggested they had to spend.

What would you buy with 'two grant'?

I can't tell somebody what to buy, as they may not shoot as i shoot. They might have different needs to what i have. It's a very subjective issue

andrys

Post Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 pm

I might be misreading, Sean, but it looks as if it was meant to be
"switch from Nikon"

I got confused and re-read a few times before posting this. But maybe
it's an even later switch!

djwixx

Post Fri May 11, 2007 9:42 pm

andrys wrote:

I might be misreading, Sean, but it looks as if it was meant to be
"switch from Nikon"

I got confused and re-read a few times before posting this. But maybe
it's an even later switch!

I read it as Nikon to Canon.

attila_cseh

ok

Post Sat May 12, 2007 5:15 am

Anybody can be a good photographer, with any type of lens, and cameras, because catch the moment , is not to can to buy for money, feel the nature, or feel the pain or somebody's face, without you will break the moment, this is the photography, not making photos in front of 5 light..
I was talking about: my feelings about the lenses like sigma is not work with well with nikon, i love nikon, i have a fuji s3, and s5, and nikon d200, but i still fell the canon has something more with this lenses, and this is not about my settings, or about my eyes.That was my questoin, my friends!

Next

Board index Photography Technical Questions Please explain to me why is any canon is better than nikon?