Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with lighting please.

Technical Questions

Help with lighting please.

Discuss technical aspects of photography
becky_stead

Help with lighting please.

Post Mon May 14, 2007 5:53 am

Well peeps just a couple of questions for you. Firstly i do kids portraits i have 2 portaflash dl1000 kits and a white backdrop. I usually have my camera on aperture priority if not i use a light meter and set my camera accordingly. The results im getting are strange the white backdrop is always pink. I have tried my camera on all sorts of white balance settings and just cant seem to get rid of the pink colour what could i be doing wrong. I could understand if the room where i was shooting had pink walls, but its like a really light creamy yellow. Please help i have a couple of jobs coming up and need to know how to resolve my pink issue lol.

Secondly i have some prom photos to do at the end of the month. 8 girls who want group shots and individuals. Just wondering if i should use my 50mm prime or my 18-200mm zoom also should i used difused flash for the outdoor shots. What kind of backdrop? White or should i invest in something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Becky

rickl52

Post Mon May 14, 2007 12:21 pm

The color problem is almost always going to happen no matter what set up you have because the camera cannot predict the outcome of flash units of varying light output mixed with the room you're shooting in. There is no universal flash color.

You have two options. First, shoot something white with the set up you'll be using and set a custom white balance in the camera or second, shoot a color checker chart and adjust the white balance in processing. For the second you have to shoot RAW but you should be doing that anyway.

Incidentally, if you're using flash you should always be using the camera on manual so you can control the ratio of ambient to flash (aperture for flash, shutter speed for ambient).

ghsmith178613

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:03 pm

*walks away shaking head*

i'm not touching this. i'm not touching this. i'm not touching this.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

becky_stead

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 pm

ghsmith178613 wrote:*walks away shaking head*

How come??

dang

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:59 pm

I'm not sure I'd be using a white background to begin with... but each to their own. :wink:
Probably best to read, instead of getting quick answers. So, here's a couple of sites I think you'll enjoy:
http://www.dphotojournal.com/lighting-f ... aphy-tips/
http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/368

gilp

Post Mon May 14, 2007 4:02 pm

becky_stead wrote:
ghsmith178613 wrote:*walks away shaking head*

How come??

I think that the comment makes sense... there's nothing wrong with not knowing how stuff works..but it's important to learn it before getting into projects where there are expectations... shooting in AV and not knowing which color temp the flash heads are at are pretty much garantees of having problems...

no "tricks" here... practice, understanding how the stuff works... and understanding why manual mode is the only way to go.

becky_stead

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:02 pm

dang wrote:I'm not sure I'd be using a white background to begin with... but each to their own. :wink:

I use a white background because thats just the style of photography i do sort of the "venture" style if youve ever come accross them. I dont like the standard kid photos where they are sat on a sheepskin rug or in a flower pot with a blue speckly backround. Thanks for the links the first was helpfull although ended too early just as i was getting into it!

gilp wrote:I think that the comment makes sense... there's nothing wrong with not knowing how stuff works..but it's important to learn it before getting into projects where there are expectations... shooting in AV and not knowing which color temp the flash heads are at are pretty much garantees of having problems...

no "tricks" here... practice, understanding how the stuff works... and understanding why manual mode is the only way to go.

I do portraits for family and friends who all understand that im only an amature who is still learning so there is no expectations. Thats why i always come on here to get good advice and help from fellow pbasers who have a lot more knowledge than i do as i work 108 hours of nights a fornight which leaves no room for part time studies the the advice is usually very good. Thanks for the comment, but maybe you could explain what you have pointed out about colour temp in flash heads and why manual is the only way to go it would be very helpful to me. I have 2 constant light sources and as i say im still learning and getting into projects is my only way to do that.
Last edited by becky_stead on Mon May 14, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

becky_stead

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:24 pm

rickl52 thanks for your help too. Although im not shooting in raw at the moment as i have no idea how to go about processing the shots afterwards. As i have mentioned above i have no spare time to study i also have no friends with knowledge of photography. Would you (or anyone else) know of any good links that would help me with this as its something ive been meaning to get into doing for sometime, but always chicken out as i dont want to end up with a load of useless shots lol. Thanks for everyones time and input its apreciated.

dang

Post Mon May 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Becky,
Since you use Canon, first thing is download Digital Photo Professional from their website since it's free, if you don't already have it. If you do, check for updates, since they've had one recently. It's a pretty simple program, and will convert your RAW files easily.

If you want some quick tips, check the Canon Learning Center here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... fromTips=1

Using RAW will allow you to color balance easily, but it really is good to do a white card balance before you shoot. Check your manual for the quick on doing it.

Also, since you liked the links.. I think you'll like this one too. Barri (madlights) passed it on to me, and it's a real good monthly read:
http://www.rangefindermag.com/index2.tml

benjikan

Re: Help with lighting please.

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 am

becky_stead wrote:Well peeps just a couple of questions for you. Firstly i do kids portraits i have 2 portaflash dl1000 kits and a white backdrop. I usually have my camera on aperture priority if not i use a light meter and set my camera accordingly. The results im getting are strange the white backdrop is always pink. I have tried my camera on all sorts of white balance settings and just cant seem to get rid of the pink colour what could i be doing wrong. I could understand if the room where i was shooting had pink walls, but its like a really light creamy yellow. Please help i have a couple of jobs coming up and need to know how to resolve my pink issue lol.

Secondly i have some prom photos to do at the end of the month. 8 girls who want group shots and individuals. Just wondering if i should use my 50mm prime or my 18-200mm zoom also should i used difused flash for the outdoor shots. What kind of backdrop? White or should i invest in something else?

Becky

Hello Becky;

Where are you positioning the flash units? What is the shutter speed? What is your white balance setting? Are you lighting the backdrop? The pink cast is normal. I will explain why shortly, but first answer these questions please. One more question, what lights are on during the shoot? Is the backdrop near a window. How many watts are the "Pilot" lights on the flash?

Ben

benjikan

Re: Help with lighting please.

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:15 am

becky_stead wrote:Well peeps just a couple of questions for you. Firstly i do kids portraits i have 2 portaflash dl1000 kits and a white backdrop. I usually have my camera on aperture priority if not i use a light meter and set my camera accordingly. The results im getting are strange the white backdrop is always pink. I have tried my camera on all sorts of white balance settings and just cant seem to get rid of the pink colour what could i be doing wrong. I could understand if the room where i was shooting had pink walls, but its like a really light creamy yellow. Please help i have a couple of jobs coming up and need to know how to resolve my pink issue lol.

Becky

Still waiting...

Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with lighting please.