Board index Photography Technical Questions Amazon Buys Dpreview...

Technical Questions

Amazon Buys Dpreview...

Discuss technical aspects of photography
dang

Amazon Buys Dpreview...

Post Mon May 14, 2007 4:18 pm

djwixx

Post Tue May 15, 2007 2:09 am

It's great for the people who started and own dpreview but I'd be curious to see how impartial amazon will let reviews be!!!!

andrys

Post Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 am

djwixx wrote:It's great for the people who started and own dpreview but I'd be curious to see how impartial amazon will let reviews be!!!!

They sure allow highly negative reviews right now (by users).

sheila

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:19 am

I agree with Andrys. I haven't posted anything at DPR for a very long time mainly because of the childish behaviour of the few. That said, I learned a great deal about digital through Phil's site and hope that he can now relax (he was a tad uptight over the years!) I also discovered PBase through the Challenges of DPR.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

madlights

Post Mon May 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Wow...yeah Phil can relax a bit now :-) I know the forums I used to visit...particularly the Canon forums have changed a LOT. Seems instead of dispersing info all they do is fight over who knows how to pixel peep the best. I learned a great deal there too...some of the forums other than the Canons are a bit more civilized...LOL. I, like Sheila, learned that PBase existed from DPR. Interesting news. If it changes too much...there's always Steve's Digicams. Thanks for the info...glad to see that Phil is still going to be active in reviews etc. or so it seems.

ericvision

Post Tue May 22, 2007 1:14 pm

There are still some very good peeps on DPReview. Its pretty easy to spot the "Troll" posts and to ignore the incredibly boring "What features will the camera I'm waiting to buy have" type posts.

Amazon have a lot of completely impartial user reviews on their site already and sell from every manufacturer under the sun, so I don't think that will change at any time in the near future.

Phil has built a great empire and its time for him to reap the rewards of his hard work.

andrys

Post Thu May 24, 2007 2:12 am

madlights wrote:Wow...yeah Phil can relax a bit now :-) I know the forums I used to visit...particularly the Canon forums have changed a LOT. Seems instead of dispersing info all they do is fight over who knows how to pixel peep the best. I learned a great deal there too...

I'm eternally thankful for the two guys there who made an interface
for the fabulous exiftool so that we can now change a directory of
Canon pics to include in the standard field where photoshop can find it,
the ISO used, whether chosen or 'auto,' on the cameras that Canon
used non-standard fields for (too typical). So now, if we edit via
Photoshop, the ISO will be recorded instead of dropped.

See my post of May 6, 2007, if interested in these.
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... t=exiftool

Very true that products Amazon sells has user comments that are very
very negative and they sometimes use those in 'featured' top two
reviews of a product. I hope they continue that and imagine they will.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Amazon Buys Dpreview...