Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D70 Lens?

Technical Questions

Nikon D70 Lens?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
gavin_555

Nikon D70 Lens?

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi,

I Have a Nikon D70 with a 18-200 (F3.5 - F6.3) Tamron lens, but wondered if the Nikon 18-200 VR lens would give me better quality of picture?

In terms of sharpness, focus accuracy & colour. (without using the VR part)

Has any on any opinions, or better still used both a can compare?

Many thanks,
Gavin

stillshotdirector

Re: Nikon D70 Lens?

Post Sun May 20, 2007 2:56 am

gavin_555 wrote:Hi,

I Have a Nikon D70 with a 18-200 (F3.5 - F6.3) Tamron lens, but wondered if the Nikon 18-200 VR lens would give me better quality of picture?

In terms of sharpness, focus accuracy & colour. (without using the VR part)

Has any on any opinions, or better still used both a can compare?

Many thanks,
Gavin

The short answer is probably, but if you really want to get sharper images, then you should consider going away from lenses which span such long ranges as 18-200mm. They are notorious for not being sharp or as good as more specific lenses. I have yet to hear a photographer who was happy with such a lens, unless stopped down to f/9 which really limits situations.

I'll also suggest that lenses with wide open apertures around f/3.5 or that having varying apertures might not be as "good" as non-changing aperture lenses.

I can personally vouch for the quality of the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 lens. I shoot with this lens a large percentage of the time. Many of my gallery images are from this lens.

The way to achieve what we want in photography is always really expensive, but if you want to capture the light, there is no way around it.

In my experience, no amount of rationalization about budget, etc, has ever changed this. With so many people dumping their Nikon gear to go Canon, they are cheaper than they used to be on the used market.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D70 Lens?