Board index Photography Technical Questions The thought process in Capturing an Image

Technical Questions

The thought process in Capturing an Image

Discuss technical aspects of photography
benjikan

The thought process in Capturing an Image

Post Wed May 23, 2007 12:52 pm

What is your thought Process (Originally Posted at DP Challenge)

Before doing a shoot, what are the processes you go through before making the decision to press the shutter? Have you ever thought about it? I ask this question, as I have come to realize that after over 25 years, I forget that I am holding a camera when shooting and only become cognizant of the fact when I put it down...

When I started in 1980, I didn't have discernment a vocabulary or even a notion of which questions to ask, as these concepts didn't exist in my paradigm. As time went on, I learned how to be discerning and with this capacity I could make statements with more finesse and elegance, elegance being in the scientific domain i.e. "(of a scientific theory or solution to a problem) pleasingly ingenious and simple : the grand unified theory is compact and elegant in mathematical terms."

I specifically remember the day or the epiphany when after putting down the camera to take a break that I realized that I was not aware of holding the camera throughout the whole process and that vehicle was meaningless to the intended outcome other than it being an interface. That is all it is really. A physical interface able to capture a limited amount of information on a two dimensional plain.

With this notion well ensconced in my mind set, I felt empowered to do anything I so desired without having to be encumbered by the "Technique"..I would often freak out my assistants when popping the flash and squinting my eyes to increase the contrast or augment the perceptible differences between the shadows and highlights, I would say for example f11 at 100 iso...I would generally be right on or within a third of a stop. Why? After over a million shutter releases and flash pops, you can get the results easily with such a small variation of about seven to eight stops. Once the technique is mastered, you can really fly and be intuitive. Thinking about the shot renders a different result than intuiting an image. Both can be striking, but I believe the one that will become a classic will be the one that captured a universal truth.

Ben

sean_mcr

Post Wed May 23, 2007 2:41 pm

I've read that article before Ben.

It pretty much sums up the zen maxim.

Develop an infallible technique, then put yourself at the mercy of inspiration

madlights

Post Wed May 23, 2007 5:50 pm

I've read somewhere that Bresson used pretty much one camera, a Leica rangefinder and predominantly a single lens...probably since it became extremely intuitive when shooting. I would think that when technique becomes a second thought...freedom of creation becomes much less encumbered by it. Very good point Ben.

sean_mcr

Post Wed May 23, 2007 6:29 pm

madlights wrote:I've read somewhere that Bresson used pretty much one camera, a Leica rangefinder and predominantly a single lens...probably since it became extremely intuitive when shooting. I would think that when technique becomes a second thought...freedom of creation becomes much less encumbered by it. Very good point Ben.

That's right a leica and his 50mm summicron. Though he did use two other lenses it was the 50 that spent most of it time on his camera. Leica custom coated his lenses for him. He proved what could be done with a single lens

I like many people have a real love for his work. I don't shoot with a rangefinder but i shoot with my 35mm prime 90% of the time, it's taught me a great deal.

Board index Photography Technical Questions The thought process in Capturing an Image