Board index Photography Technical Questions Lets have your post-processing advice

Technical Questions

Lets have your post-processing advice

Discuss technical aspects of photography
sean_mcr

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 pm

dang wrote:Jim,
In case you didn't see the thread about processing, and using Soft Layers Ben posted for me, check it out. The technique gives amazing results, and it's well worth the read.
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=31259
Thanks for trying to get something going in the forums, too bad more people don't participate. But I'm glad Andrys caught it not being in sRGB, since that does make a huge difference, you should find it works much better for here. I'd converted to TIFF before playing with it, and didn't catch it. As far as the overall affect of the shot, I personally like it and understand it being among your favorites.
Thanks!

That was good of Ben to share his work flow. But you can't apply one work flow to every kind of situation. Ben often shoots in a studio under controlled conditions and his work flow suits his subject and style.

There is a myriad of styles and situations we find ourselves in and each will require a different approach just as they did (do) in the darkroom.

The most important thing to remember Jim is to get it right in camera so later you can fully realise your vision rather then salvaging it, which is what has happend here. Photoshop can only do so much

Keep shooting

Sean

jimcritchley

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:06 pm

OK, here goes another attempt. This time I have chosen a picture that I have tried to convert to B&W. I have included the original and the converted B&W. What I am looking for this time, is whether I have chosen the right picture in terms of contrast to convert to B&W, if not what should I be looking for and if I have converted correctly. My steps were to convert to grayscale, then to CYMK. Go to channel mixer and tick the monochrome box and then play around with the %'s with a final tweak in curves (in CS2). Any constructive comments like before are always appreciated, so thanks for the responses regarding the previous picture :D

jimcritchley

Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 pm

So, no one is willing to share ideas :shock:

andrys

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:34 am

Oh. Sorry! Too much going on lately! Am ultra behind and shouldn't even
be here. But what I noted was that the b&w is much better in effect than
the color one and the tones look just fine to my own eyes.

Maybe someone else will have other reactions though! I'm just learning
the LAB and lightness way to B&W. A babe in the CS woods but having fun.

dang

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:48 am

I'm sorry too, Jim. Seems I get my hands full and miss things when time is short. I'm still playing catch up, but it's always worth it. :wink:

To be honest, all I can say is I really prefer the black & white version for the subject. As far as processing monotone, I'm the last person you'd want to ask. I can give you plenty of tips concerning a wet darkroom, but digital offers more than I've begun to tap into, or probably ever will. Shooting bugs doesn't require an abundance of choice. :) But, I always love learning if it's within the ability of programs I have. Or, if I can use it to learn a work-around I can pass on. So, I'll watch the tread and add a link to some b&w processed shots I've enjoyed. We all know viewing can sometimes help more than anything, and GP Merfields' work is a good example:
http://www.pbase.com/gpmerfeld/portraits

gpmerfeld

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:27 am

Thanks for the mention, Dang...

If anyone would like a few technique tips on a particular image, feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to rack my addled brain for you... :~)

Aloha,
G.

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions Lets have your post-processing advice