Board index Photography Technical Questions 8.0mp DSLR to blow up print to 50ftx9ft

Technical Questions

8.0mp DSLR to blow up print to 50ftx9ft

Discuss technical aspects of photography
hip

8.0mp DSLR to blow up print to 50ftx9ft

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:13 pm

I have an 8mp DSLR (E500 Olympus) I need to shoot a panorama sunset and blow it up to 50ftx9ft. Can I achieve this descent quality with my current camera?
I have never worked with very bi blowups like this one.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks folks!

gilp

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 pm

I think that it's a big stretch... Large format printers work at 33dpi. because people view it from a distance.

I think you should aim for a final file at 50dpi...and interpolate as much as you can... but I think you will still fall way way short..

of course this really depends on the amount of "image" vs "Graphics" on the canvas.

sheila

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 pm

I agree with gilp, a very big stretch literally. The only way around this would be to do an image merge of several shots taken in "portrait" ie. vertical. There are various pieces of software which can do this.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

ghsmith178613

Re: 8.0mp DSLR to blow up print to 50ftx9ft

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 am

hip wrote:I have an 8mp DSLR (E500 Olympus) I need to shoot a panorama sunset and blow it up to 50ftx9ft. Can I achieve this descent quality with my current camera?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks folks!

have you spoken with the printing company? surely they have done this size for others, and would know if you 8mp will do the job.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

benjikan

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:50 am

hip wrote:I have an 8mp DSLR (E500 Olympus) I need to shoot a panorama sunset and blow it up to 50ftx9ft. Can I achieve this descent quality with my current camera?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks folks!

There is no problem. In fact I have posted a sample of an image of mine exhibited at the 3rd International Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes, France, blown up to 3.5x5 meters from a Canon 20D and will have my images blown up there for the 5th Festival in Cannes shot with the K10D. Here is the link at PBase :

http://www.pbase.com/benjikan/35x5_meter_canvas :)

andrys

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:01 am

Very nice, Ben.

His 50 ft needs would be 15 meters though, while yours at 5 meters long-side was the equivalent of about 16 feet, no ?

On a far more modest scale than yours, a hotel inn asked for one from
my 8M Rebel XT, a night shot, for use as a 14-ft wide x 8 ft high wall backdrop (as a sale).

I did a couple of interpolations and made sure the detail was still
tight and then gave it to them so their printers could work with that, and
they said it turned out well. But they also said the printers charged a
lot to do that :-)

Board index Photography Technical Questions 8.0mp DSLR to blow up print to 50ftx9ft