Board index Photography Technical Questions How Large Can You Print

Technical Questions

How Large Can You Print

Discuss technical aspects of photography
benjikan

How Large Can You Print

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:45 am

Here is a video from the "International Festival of Fashion Photography" in Cannes which will illustrate how large prints can go and excellent to boot. My Images were anywhere from 1.2x2 meters up to 3.5x5.0 meters. Shot on 8 ti 10 megapixels...

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/kanarek/ ... stival2005

dang

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:35 am

Ben, hope you don't mind me asking.. But what file size does this work out too, and whats the process for enlarging to specs? Sorry to ask for more instructions... but curious minds want to know. :)

benjikan

Not Sure

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:17 am

dang wrote:Ben, hope you don't mind me asking.. But what file size does this work out too, and whats the process for enlarging to specs? Sorry to ask for more instructions... but curious minds want to know. :)

When I sent the images for the Festival as I did this year, they do the interpolation. However for my Lumas Galleries Exhibit I did it. Now for Lumas they want a 200 dpi output for a 1.20x 0.80 meter image which is about 176 mega per image. I was told that for Cannes, it is about 15 to 25 dpi output for the image, plus what ever interpolation needed. Now that was for the canvases. For the interior expo you viewed those are about 150 dpi therefore larger file size. So do the math. You'll see there isn't a huge problem. I use PS Smooth Bicubic when Upsizing and Bicubic Sharper when down sizing.

Now remember this is done when all of the retouching is complete (i.e.) my standard workflow method and all of the Layers are Flattened. I generally sharpen one more time depending on the final size being published or exposed. Generally at between another 0.3 pixels at 100 to 180 percent.

http://www.pbase.com/benjikan/35x5_meter_canvas :wink: :)
Last edited by benjikan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dang

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:25 am

Thanks, Ben,
I've always heard when up-sizing files, to increase in 10% steps. Is this something you feel necessary, or does the increased processing actually hurt the final image?
Sorry to pick you so much!
Thanks for the tips.

benjikan

PS2 & 3

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:19 pm

dang wrote:Thanks, Ben,
I've always heard when up-sizing files, to increase in 10% steps. Is this something you feel necessary, or does the increased processing actually hurt the final image?
Thanks for the tips.

The interpolation in PS2 & 3 are really good. Use Bicubic Smoother "Upsizing" and Sharper "Downsizing". I don't do the resize in incriments.

andrys

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 pm

dang wrote:Thanks, Ben,
Thanks for the tips.

Here's the latest thinking on that with CS2 and CS3 explained:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_60/essay.html

sean_mcr

Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:47 am

I have photozoom pro 2. I resized an 8meg file to 30 x 20 inch yesterday with no fuss, in my experience it's better then Photoshop. I've never had a complaint about an image resized with it

http://www.benvista.com/main/content/co ... ozoompro_1

Something that always makes me smile is when people see huge posters and mention how sharp they are without taking in to account viewing distance, of course you're not going to view a 12x8 from the same distance you would a 30x20 let alone a bill board

andrys

Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:04 am

sean_mcr wrote:I have photozoom pro 2. I resized an 8meg file to 30 x 20 inch yesterday with no fuss, in my experience it's better then Photoshop. I've never had a complaint about an image resized with it

Sean, what about it is better? Ease of making the changes, less/more
options, better results with less effort? Good previews?

I did a 20x30 for a customer with Photoshop and it turned out ok but I
don't have Photozoom Pro 2 to compare against.

sean_mcr

Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 am

andrys wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:I have photozoom pro 2. I resized an 8meg file to 30 x 20 inch yesterday with no fuss, in my experience it's better then Photoshop. I've never had a complaint about an image resized with it

Sean, what about it is better? Ease of making the changes, less/more
options, better results with less effort? Good previews?

I did a 20x30 for a customer with Photoshop and it turned out ok but I
don't have Photozoom Pro 2 to compare against.

Hi Andrys

Well most important of all i think it gives better results, i realise that this can be subjective. But the way photozoom does it is more complex then photoshop but it's very easy to use. There's many different ways to resize files but the s-spline xl option gives amazing results, i know that makes me sound like a sales man lol but it makes for a more detailed enlargment.

What's also really handy is that you can export while working in PS. It'd not say it's as fast as PS but that's because there's more going on behind the scenes

Review

http://whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/ ... _11485.php

andrys

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:37 am

Sean,
Thanks very much for the reasons you like Photozoom better and for the
very through review you linked too. Between them all my questions to you
were answered. Looks VERY intriguing.

- A

dang

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

Sounds like photozone would be a good option for someone like myself who isn't using PS CS. These are all great links, and well worth viewing. Thanks everyone for sharing, everyone. I've learned it's best to be prepared than digging around if something comes up where you need it. And lets face it, sometimes those asking for large files on the other end don't really have a clue what the need. DPI, and megabites seems to be the only words they know. :wink:

Board index Photography Technical Questions How Large Can You Print