Board index Photography Technical Questions Digital images from 35 prints? Help....

Technical Questions

Digital images from 35 prints? Help....

Discuss technical aspects of photography
stesha_moser

Digital images from 35 prints? Help....

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:51 am

Does anybody know the best way to get digital images from my 35 prints? Over the years I have lost many of the negatives and only have many of the prints left. Some are pictures I really love and hope to be able to get a good digital copy from. Any ideas to get the best resolution, least loss of color, ect...
thank you!
~Stesha

dominicanthony

Re: Digital images from 35 prints? Help....

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:40 pm

stesha_moser wrote:Does anybody know the best way to get digital images from my 35 prints? Over the years I have lost many of the negatives and only have many of the prints left. Some are pictures I really love and hope to be able to get a good digital copy from. Any ideas to get the best resolution, least loss of color, ect...
thank you!
~Stesha

Stesha,

Are you thinking of scanning? You can achieve very good results depending on the scanning software you use. Obviously a massive program like Photoshop will give you lots of control over image quality, but this may not be feasible if you don't already have a copy, (and don't want to pay for one).

There are some very good pieces of free software available for various platforms, (some of which I actually prefer to Photoshop for digitizing original film prints because of ease of operation and quality of reproduction).

What are your needs?

- Dominic

Board index Photography Technical Questions Digital images from 35 prints? Help....