Board index Photography Technical Questions Resizing images

Technical Questions

Resizing images

Discuss technical aspects of photography
sallymmm

Resizing images

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Hello

I reckon I'm abusing the system here, although I'm gaining interest in photography at the moment and might post something more thoughtful later.

Does anyone know how to resize an image to use as an avatar though?! Sorry... I have an apple and it's driving me mad that I can't do it, and I can't share mst of my photos online.

Thank you veeeeery much for curing my headache!

Sally

soenda

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:24 pm

While I'm not a Mac user, I might be able to help. What size does your avatar need to be? Different sites have different requirements. For example, the Fred Miranda forums require an image no larger than 60 x 60 pixels. Flickr, another photo forum site, calls avatars "buddy icons" and limits them to 48 x 48 pixels.

The trick is to find out what the site where you want to post the avatar wants.
Then choose an image from your photos that you can crop a square from, and which will look okay reduced down that far. Keep in mind that anything that small is not likely to show a whole lot of detail very well. The simpler the better.

You save the cropped image to your hard drive, then find the avatar uploading page in the site where you want it. Generally, the host site will ask what file on your hard drive you want to use, you paste in the file name and that's it.

Good luck.

redfish1031

RESIZING PHOTOS

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:45 am

Find out what pixel size they require. Open the JPEG in Photoshop and select image size and type in pixel size on appropriate line. Then save as jpeg probably resolution 4 will do. This should work.

andrys

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:07 am

Soenda, really nice, thorough explanation. I've saved it for use when people ask, as it's worded well for online novices.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Resizing images