Board index Photography Technical Questions Problems with Canon 400d

Technical Questions

Problems with Canon 400d

Discuss technical aspects of photography
siliisobel

Problems with Canon 400d

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I have recently bought a Canon 400d (second hand) but im having problems with it. When I switch it on most of the time nothing appears on screen and it wont take pics. The on light is lit up and I have fully charged the battery etc but still wont do anything. Ive only just upgraded to and SLR so im wondering if its something I have done? The other strange thing is when I switch it off the power light stays lit and I cant get it to go off unless I remove the battery. Does any one have any ideas what this could be or does it sound like I have bought a faulty camera? :(

kerrym

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:01 pm

I have a 350D and I expect your camera would be very very similar to mine. When you first turn it on, the top of the LCD screen will display the camera settings in a small skinny window. The bigger area underneath - won't show anything at this stage. That will come to life if you start pressing the buttons down the left side - menu, info etc. You cannot use this screen to take your photos - you must look through the viewfinder.

Your camera should be taking photos just with the press of the shutter button once it has been turned on.
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

dougj

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:11 am

There are a number of options and functions in the 400D that are not very intuitive to someone new to a Canon DSLR. You'll need to go through the operating manual to fully understand how to operate the camera and get the best performance from it.

If the camera did not come with a manual, you can download a copy from one of Canon's websites. The following is a link to Canon Asia, select 'support and downloads' and go from there.

Edit: I neglected to post the link. As mentioned, Canon has other sites for documentation but this will get you started in the event you do not have a manual.
http://www.canon-asia.com/
Last edited by dougj on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

dang

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:27 am

You can start by going over the settings to understand what they do here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
:wink:

ericvision

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:04 am

The 400D has a power light?

I think you're seeing the CF write light. Perhaps try the camera with a different card?

dougj

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 am

Twilight Zone time – I read the original thread and then Dang’s post several hours (real time) after Dang posted it, and then posted my reply. Walah – my post appears before his. Granted we are separated by about 12 hours, but talk about a strange encounter.

Maybe I've been on the road too much lately. Still, I think I’ll put on my aluminum foil beanie, just to be safe…..

siliisobel

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:39 am

Hi guys, thanks for your info, after much messing about finally figured out that the CF card is faulty, I have tried another card and it works fine.

dang

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Great to hear you figured it out, that's a good reason to be sure and "format" your card as a first step. :wink:

kerrym

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:45 am

What is required if you need to format your card? I've only had a couple, and they're a fine for immediate use.
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

dougj

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 pm

CFs should be formated in the camera so the proper file format for the camera is created. This function is usually available via 'info' or a menu command in the camera.

dang

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Right, press the menu button and scroll through the screens to find it. It should be easy to find as it simply says, "Format". I usually use it instead of only deleting old photos, as it clears the card of all old file information which otherwise takes up unnecessary room. Hope it helps.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Problems with Canon 400d