Board index Photography Technical Questions signature and exif loss

Technical Questions

signature and exif loss

Discuss technical aspects of photography
penlan

signature and exif loss

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:08 pm

I know a few people have asked about adding a signature to their pictures but I hope someone can help with this. I have added a signature to a pic using Paintshop Pro but when I save the change I lose all EXIF data. Is there some way to edit the picture and save the exif data ?
with thanks
Penlan

koko93s

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Need more details.

Are you opening the file in PSP as a jpg? Re-saving as a jpg? When you initially open the file in PSP can you see the exif data using PSP? (I don't have or have ever used PSP so i don't know how it works). If you can see it when you open the file, you may have to adjust a preference in PSP to save the exif to the new file.

penlan

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply....your comments have enabled me to figure it out. When I opened the jpeg hardly any EXIF data was showing but I was able to enable it and when I resaved the file the data saved also ! Many thanks !
penlan

koko93s

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 pm

No problem!

One thing, you may know, you may not, but every time you open and then save a jpg back to the original file, you lose some quality from jpg compression. If you are opening, modifying, and saving a lot, either change the ORIGINAL jpg to a tiff (tiff is lossless) file or use the save as.. command and save a new copy instead of saving over the original.

penlan

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi and thanks once again....I have to confess I didn't know that saving a jpeg resulte in some more loss of compression so I am grateful for the tip. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I am quite new to all this !!!

Board index Photography Technical Questions signature and exif loss