Board index Photography Technical Questions what is direct link

Technical Questions

what is direct link

Discuss technical aspects of photography
photobuss

what is direct link

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:34 am

I have noticed quite a few of my photos will displayed " 'x' direct links" Are people "steeling" my work for there web site?
How do I find who??
how do I stop it?
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Kevin
http://www.pbase.com/photobuss

marxz

Re: what is direct link

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 am

photobuss wrote:I have noticed quite a few of my photos will displayed " 'x' direct links" Are people "steeling" my work for there web site?
How do I find who??
how do I stop it?

Direct linking is linking to your image from forums other than pBase...

I don't know how the count works though, if it's total number of viewings or total number of forum posts that have direct links to the image.

you can turn it off by default in your "update account" page (3rd last from bottom).
Which ever you set as your account default you can turn it off/on on a per gallery basis.

personally if your not keeping full (or large enough) resolution images and your not selling your work I'd take it as a compliment that people are direct linking

that said I find it strange that some of my images have 3 or 4 times as many direct linkings as they have viewings.

andrys

Re: what is direct link

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:17 am

marxz wrote:
Direct linking is linking to your image from forums other than pBase...

From what I've seen it seems to pick up some of the Show&Tell views
also, when people present their photos. It also picks up (or at least used
to) a direct link that comes into play when using PBgrab, by Arjun,
a wonderful backup utility described at http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/tools

At any rate, also try an idea from this thread:
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... nks#184289

(I just corrected the URL to that.)

marxz

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:19 am

so does each view count as a "direct link"? or is a single link in a forum counted as 1 direct link no mater how many people view that forum thread?

I'm guessing generally it's each viewer counts as one direct link as looking at the default html most forums use is just a "and while your downloading the forum go to this external site and grab this image" rather than acting as a psudo proxy server "download this forum and here's an image I cached from else were"

I must admit that one day I had a HUGE direct link hit on just one new image that I'd not posted in any pBase forum... I put a discrete (c) notice on it just in case.

I don't mind people seeing/linking my images (hell that's why I put them up here) but I know of at least one person who tried to pass off several of my images off as his a couple of friends found his blog and emailed me about it.

As the idiot just linked off of my own personal server to his blog (rather than copied the images to his server or image host) I put a (c) notice on the pictures posted a comment on his blog and emailed him... after he deleted the comment, didn't respond and kept the image up with his "pictures I took at the Skyshow fireworks" statement I swapped the image for another that was just a text image saying "no he didn't he stole it from {my old, now defunct, website}".... he pulled them about a month or two later.
there is no .sig

Board index Photography Technical Questions what is direct link