Board index Photography Technical Questions Best Tripod + Head??????????

Technical Questions

Best Tripod + Head??????????

Discuss technical aspects of photography
petr_petr

Best Tripod + Head??????????

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:10 am

Hi folks,
any sugestion,need new tripod.
Need go pretty high(180cm min) and reach ground level for macro shots(doing a lots)
And must be rock stable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have heavy gears (4KG easy)
And have to stay with me forever :o !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
PP
:idea:

jchambers

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 am

I recently just bought a new tripod head combo that should meet your requirements.

The Tripod was the Gitzo 1530
http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765?gitzoView=flatView&curLevel=1CAT&curFamilyId=NONE&curMarketId=MARKET%3AMKT1&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT%3AAAA1%3A2CAT%3ABB59%3A3CAT%3ACC49%3A4CAT%3AD293&productContainer_windowsize=10&ctnscroll_productContainer=&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&detailPid=5048

This is a carbon fiber tripod, weighs only 1.1kg (!!!) and has a max load of 8kg. The link says it only reaches 155mm, but this must be before the extension tube is lifted, as my reaches past my eye level and I am 1.84m tall.

It is extremely stable, has only two joins to twist (which makes it more stable than those with 3 or more) and is wonderfully light for carrying around. Gitzo make other carbon fiber tripods that are heavier and can hold more load if you like, but if you are walking around a lot, this is a great model.

So far it has increased my success rate from 60% (light or no wind) to 100% and from 20% in high winds to 95% as far as camera shake since my last tripod. (using a 70-200mm L lens at 200mm)

Honestly, it is an absolute stunner. It feels so solid for it's weight, and the twist mechanism of the legs have such a good solid feel, I like to turn them just for fun ;O) This really is an Italian made masterpiece, I can see why so many pro's love their Gitzo's.

The head I bought was a German made Magic Ball from Novaflex (their largest model). This weighs a hefty 920kg or so, but works a dream.

http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm

It is extremely accurate and easy to use, solid and once locked in place, does not move. It is rated for 10kg. It even looks amazing. Id doesn't have a quick release, but you don't really need one with the twisting wheel. It is a bit slower than quick release, but saves having to have one mounted at the bottom of each camera.

The only downside is that it doesn't swivel on the horizontal axis unless you buy the extra panorama plate. But this is really only needed if you do panoramas.

All of this ain't cheap, the Tripod was around €500 and the magicball head €300. A panorama plate will set you back another €100. But then again, if you want a good tripod and head, this is around the middle price range, and it is absolutely top notch.
Last edited by jchambers on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
In order to save bandwidth, I no longer have a signiture.

sean_mcr

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:47 am

What is your budget? where do you shoot, how do you shoot?

I have a gitzo myself and naturally there's a reason why they have different models, your height playing no small part. They have to suit your needs, for instance i'm 185cm and my tripod is 170cm. With the ball head and the camera that's perfect eye level. 155cm is simply too short for me, all tripods have center columns but the higher you raise them the less stable the become. Your're my height and as fine as a tripod the 1530 is, it's not right for somebody of your height

I went for a 3 twist lock system, one reason being is that their closed length is shorter, 7cm shorter then the 1530 for example.

My 2227 weighs more then the 1530 1.8k, that's something to consider. But it's 15cm taller and at 185cm (6.1) that was a crucial point when purchasing the tripod. It's also an extremely versatile tripod, the legs can be moved independently which has been a real life saver at times

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... 2227.shtml

The explorer line has been updated and i actually prefer what i have now and if you think the 2227 would suit your needs i'm sure you'd get hold of one.

But this is the new range
http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/p ... nList=true

There's a lot of things you must consider before spending your money.

Height
Weight
Closed Length
Carbon, aluminum
Versatility
Where and how you shoot
Cost

Gitzo are not the only brand they do come at a price but they are worth it, you just have to be willing to pay for it

jchambers

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

^^^ Very good points. The fact that the center column has to be raised to bring it to eye level does decrease stability. Although I have to say that to bring it up to my eye level, with the ball head on top, it only needed to be lifted a small amount up.

On the other hand the two twist lock system has more stability than the 3 twist lock system, unless of cause you are looking at something with thicker, wider legs (which weighs more of cause).

But you are right, there are so many different options out there. I only mentioned the T1530 as it was the one I bought, after deliberation, and so the one I have experience with.

My choices were eye level (without full lifting of center column), stability and weight. Weight being a big factor for me as I walk a lot with my camera and my bag is pretty heavy as well.

Go into a good camera shop, and check out different models to see which fit your usage. But I still recommend Gitzo. Damn good tripods.

Oh, I should have also mentioned, most Gitzo models seem to have a hook as well on the center column (retracting on the T1530 and many others) which is great to hang your camera bag to both get it out of the way and safe, and second, it adds extra stability.
In order to save bandwidth, I no longer have a signiture.

petr_petr

Thanx for tips

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:27 pm

thank you,will try catch some of them.
Personally prefer alu tripods,i think there are stronger,have manfrotto 168 ball head,weight is not problem for me,1 kg more or less is not diffrent.If you want see what type imagess shoting,follow this line please and you can deside. http://www.pbase.com/petr_petr
What do you think about manfrotto 055BPro,is it good tripod?
Thanx for sugestion
PP

marxz

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:37 am

properly made carbon/mag fibre is far stronger flex and bend wise than aluminium and a more able to absorb vibration ... however there's a big price trade off, my tiny manfrotto hiking tripod cost more than twice what either my my large Al Slik or Bogan field tripods did

Mag/Carbon fibre can, however be venerable to blunt force blows (though no were near as bad as boron fibre - but probably only old Fly Fishermen like me would recall Boron fibre)
there is no .sig

Board index Photography Technical Questions Best Tripod + Head??????????