Board index Photography Technical Questions is anyone using zigview angle finder?

Technical Questions

is anyone using zigview angle finder?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
jypsee

is anyone using zigview angle finder?

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:44 pm

I'm thinking of getting one and can't find any reviews...

djwixx

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:56 pm

I wonder if a Hoodman Right Angle Viewfinder might be a cheaper option to try?

dang

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:20 am

I wasn't too impressed with the "Ziggy". It's viewable area is too small among many things. If you're in an awkward position where you need to twist it to view, the image is tilted with cut off corners. The version with auto exposure works fine for time lapse, but I found it lacking for most other uses. It's also held to the viewfinder with a hard plastic piece which can easily break since it sticks out so far from the body without folding in. Personally, I'd suggest spending your money on something more useful, unless you primarily shoot night shots, and have no aversion to viewing in pixelated black & white. Others may have a different take, but I found it an excellent dust collector.

jypsee

I have a right angle viewfinder, Dave..

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:30 am

and, Dang, my thought was that I would use a zigview for portrait work. At present I rarely look into the viewfinder when I make portraits once I get the subject in focus, and so forth. But, I miss having the waist level finder on my mamiya 330 and thought the zigview sounded good. Guess not...

djwixx

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:48 am

The review on Amazon wasn't good.

jypsee

yah, I saw that

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:23 pm

bummer....

djwixx wrote:The review on Amazon wasn't good.

but, there's this from dpreview
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=23488770

I'm wanting to use it for framing during portrait work...

madlights

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:20 pm

I've got a feeling more DSLRs will be coming out with some sort of a 'live view' or 'live preview' I think the new MkIII Canon has something although I'm not aware of the particulars...and think many will be coming out with modified versions of what some Olympus DSLR model(s) have. The live view offended SLR purists on DPR (lol -the kind that probably thought a Roliflex wasn't a real camera) but I've found on my Oly 8080 that the live preview and live histogram is really invaluable. I wished my Canon had it. So think it's a matter of time...and maybe worth waiting for especially if those live previews have large tilting swiveling LCD's where you can shoot from ground level, to over the heads of crowds...which of course will put the ziggy out of buisness...if it's not already from the disappointment some have expressed.

ivinghoe

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:07 pm

I think live view will be useful on non full frame dslrs for spectacle users. The small view finders make me miss my old A1

dang

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:12 am

I agree with Barri. I use a Minolta A2 when I need this type thing, and love the quality of it's LCD.

Since Canon has introduced one on the MkIII, it might become more of a standard feature in the next model or two. It seems a sensible update to the next XT"?" model, since the XTi has anti-dust prevention. But this may depend on user feedback now that the MkIII is out, but I'm only guessing.

Personally, I felt the best thing about the old C330 (and similar medium formats) was the size of the screen. The small view of the ziggy wasn't large enough to tell focus with. I understand you'll focus and leave it, but you'll need to focus at least once. And it's not convenient enough to pull on, and off. Without being able to visually check your focus in auto mode, you could easily end up with every shot blurred. I love gadgets as much as anyone, but still feel it's pretty useless. Dollar for dollar, I think most people would enjoy another lens, or angle finder and Lensbaby much more. I haven't tried an angle finder since I wear glasses too, but focusing would have to be much better with one.

jypsee

I do use the anglefinder with portrait work

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:50 pm

especially when I'm using a wide aperture. Thanks for the heads up regarding the focusing/dismounting the zigview issue. I hadn't thought of that one.
Lately, since I'm not so stingy with the frames (no film or chemicals to think about) I find I'm doing more exposures and getting lots to choose from just by blazing away with the tethered remote and talking to the client the whole time. My portraits are casual and not "posed" per se, but I do like to compose the frame and thought a zigview or some such thing would be worth a try. Sometimes I think about getting that old Mamiya out, though.

Board index Photography Technical Questions is anyone using zigview angle finder?