Board index Photography Technical Questions diff bewtween 15mm fish eye, 10-20mm lens and 17-40 mm lens

Technical Questions

diff bewtween 15mm fish eye, 10-20mm lens and 17-40 mm lens

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ignorant88

diff bewtween 15mm fish eye, 10-20mm lens and 17-40 mm lens

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:07 pm

I have a canon rebel xti and was try to add some lenses to it. I was considering either a canon 15mm fish eye lens, canon 10-20mm lens or canon 17-40 utra-wide angle lens. get more confuse as i read on. I am trying to find a compromise for wide angle and close up shots, thnx for help
:cry:

glamourfish

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:53 am

This all come down to what you need or the effect you want to achieve. I suggest you go into the pbase cameras section & look up the diffent lenses you are thinking about. This will take you to a page with sample photos. Hopefully that will help you decide. http://www.pbase.com/cameras
Or let us know what you want to achieve & we can take it from there.
Unless you have a specific effect in mind, I'd say the 17 - 40mm would be the most versatile lens.
----------------------------

mmmmmm....pixeljuice

ignorant88

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:00 pm

I am new to photography and want to get sort of a set of lenses to cater to overall needs. I am thinking of following lenses for my canon XTi to round it up:

28-135mm
15mm fish eye for wide angle and special effect
70-300mm for telescopic views
and one last one....which is what I am seeking to fill the gap....I think, to take close up shots of flowers, animals etc.... sigma 10-20mm or any other suggestion...or is the above sufficient already?

perhaps to add in a flash ring for that purpose. if so, which one would u recommend

glamourfish

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if your camera has a full frame sensor or not, but if it does not have, yoou'll need a 10.5mm fisheye as opposed to the 15mm. 15mm will be fine if it has a full frame sensor.
The selection of lenses you have there will give you good coverage but don't just jump in & by the cheapest lenses. generally the longer range a lens covers the lower the quality will be at either the wide or tele zoom. Prime lenses (fixed mm, eg 50mm) usually have the best quality - such as the 15mm fisheye. Again depending on what you're buying.
The 10 - 20 more than likley won't be best for photographing close up flowers, but makes for great landscape & ultra wide angles. I suggest something like the Tokina 100mm macro lens. You'll want something with a ratio of 1:1.

mmmmmm....pixeljuice

ignorant88

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 pm

what is a 1:1 lens? its not determined by mm. size of lens? what abt those so called teleconvertors that are selling like $40....are they even worth considering or do u think they are junk.

sean_mcr

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 pm

You need to do some serious research and i'm surpirsed you did not do that before you bought a dslr because if you don't really understand how different lenses function how are you going to know if a dlrs is right for you or which one is right for you.

1.1 is the magnification of an object on the film or sensor

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

glamourfish

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm

In other words - the it's the magnification ratio at which the image is captured - 1:1 is pretty much life size, so you will capture the all the fine details in the subject.

Sean is right - you will need to do some research. Photography is not an easy thing that you can just pick up a camera & press a button. I suggest buying some photographic magazines & google any question in your head. Also read the camera instruction manual. I know, nobody ever does, but it really does help!!

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!!! :D

mmmmmm....pixeljuice

Board index Photography Technical Questions diff bewtween 15mm fish eye, 10-20mm lens and 17-40 mm lens