Board index Photography Technical Questions Formatting question and filter question

Technical Questions

Formatting question and filter question

Discuss technical aspects of photography
sightminer

Formatting question and filter question

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:34 pm

Guys, my newbie ignorance shows here, but ya gotta learn sometime so please, bear with me.

What makes a camera medium format and what makes a camera large format? What are the definitions of both?

I went out and bought 2 kick-butt cameras, the D2xs and the D200 and don't know what format they are. I know, dumb, right? But hey, I won't have to ask this question again, right?

Also, Cokin offers the X-Pro and Z-Pro series neutral density filters. Based on the cameras I have, can I go Z-Pro?

Thanks much

jdepould

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Medium and large format have larger negatives or sensors (usually 4x5 or 8x10). Neither the D2x nor the D200 are medium or large format. They have APS-C sized sensors. Perhaps you should figure out more about the cameras before worrying about filter stuff.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

sightminer

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:04 pm

No way, man! Creative first, technical second. Besides, I need to keep you erudites on your toes, right :wink:

jdepould

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:29 pm

sightminer wrote:No way, man! Creative first, technical second. Besides, I need to keep you erudites on your toes, right :wink:

See, to me, filters fall under "technical."
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

ghsmith178613

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:16 pm

jdepould wrote:Medium and large format have larger negatives or sensors (usually 4x5 or 8x10). Neither the D2x nor the D200 are medium or large format. They have APS-C sized sensors. Perhaps you should figure out more about the cameras before worrying about filter stuff.

did you mean to leave out the 'Blad, the RB/Z, and the SQA/I? those poor little 120/220 cameras.

agreed on geting the left side of the brain programed around this stuff before opening the right brain.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Formatting question and filter question