Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash photos

Technical Questions

Flash photos

Discuss technical aspects of photography
rogd39

Flash photos

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:21 am

There are those (including myself) who are unable to prevent blinking when the flash fires. I just assume some people's eyes react quicker to a flash and when the picture is taken, their eyes are closed.
I have tried everything I can to keep my eyes open but 9 out of 10 times, if a flash is used, my eyes will be closed.
Is there a remedy for this?
Thanks,
Roger

dirtyol

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:21 am

A glass of red wine is supposed to help. Relaxes the subject a bit.

ernst

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 am

A glass of wine certainly helps :D but maybe you shouldn't use the anti red eye function on your camera. The preflash will cause you to blink and your eyes are shut when the real flash is firing.

Another alternative is to quickly take multiple exposures. When your subject recovers from the first flash, the second photo will be just right.

sean_mcr

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:15 pm

On board flash is simply a very poor second choice. If you're going to enter into flash photography you need to know it's strengths and weaknesses

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

If you just want to stick with the inbuilt flash on your Nikon and you're shooting indoors, get yourself some white card, place it under the flash and bounce the light of the ceiling (if it's low enough). The light will be less harsh and it will save on blinks. It's not the be all and end all, but it's better then simply hitting them head on. Just practice, it's not difficult.

But as i said, if you're going to enter in to flash photography, take it off camera when you can
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash photos