Board index Photography Technical Questions On the Canon 30D ...What is "Error 99".

Technical Questions

On the Canon 30D ...What is "Error 99".

Discuss technical aspects of photography
artisticmindz

On the Canon 30D ...What is "Error 99".

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 am

I can call canon tomorrow. But if anyone know's tonight it would ease my soul.

Thank you,

Anthony

thelund

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:14 am

AFAIK it's a general error, it usually occurs when the lens is not mounted correcly or if the contacts have become dirty!
(Or if the lens or even the camera itself has become faulty)

Brian

dang

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm

There's also other causes, such as defective lenses or when using converters and in low light situations. The body depends on contrast to help focus, and if conditions are poor this can trigger err 99. Link to Canon here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=10464

Dirty contacts are a good possibility, but there's also been many after-market lenses produced by Sigma, and a few by Tamron that have focus problems and cause the err.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by dang on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atkelley

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:22 am

I had this happen on my Rebel so I bought a 30D because I thought it was the camera. It turned out to be the lens. When I bought a new lens I relized how wore out my old ones were.

marxz

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 am

some of my old (non rechippable) sigma lenses do this on my 20D (work fine on my D60 though).

other than that I get it with my genuine canon lenses it they aren't mounted properly
there is no .sig

yanseiler

err 99

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:50 am

Err 99 seems to be an error which is linked to material issues... It happened to me because a lens had an autofocus problem and a pressure problem (I didn't know at that time as it was workign fine), the lens continued working for a few months after the raise of the err 99...

Board index Photography Technical Questions On the Canon 30D ...What is "Error 99".