Board index Photography Technical Questions Circular Polarizers- What works for you?

Technical Questions

Circular Polarizers- What works for you?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
langleya

Circular Polarizers- What works for you?

Post Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Just curious as I'm shopping around just now... which circular polarizers work for you, which don't, and which could you not live without? Brands, specific filters, etc.

Thanks for your time,
Alex

jayhawk1013

Post Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 pm

I paid IIRC, less than $20 for my Hoya polarizer. It does not have a step up ring, but it is pretty dependable, and if get scratched, oh well, it is cheap to replace.

Besides, wouldn't multiple filters distort the image?

Here is a non processed picture using my Hoya filter:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/jayhawk1013/image/87611381[/url]Image[/url]

*Text edited to fit with original post. :wink:

thelund

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:55 pm

I own both a cheap 58mm HAMA filter (about $20) and a somewhat more expensive 82mm Hoya (about $150), I've used them for 2 very different lenses, but i see no difference in image quality with either of them mounted.

I also have a Cokin 173 blue/yellow polarizer, it's NOTHING like a regular polarizer but in some images i like the effect. Where a regular polarizer will remove polarized light, the Cokin 173 will color the light blue or yellow depending on the rotation of the filter! I think i paid about $60 (46,5 euros) for a "P" sized 173 filter.

I have no examples of what the B/Y filter can do on pbase yet though.

Brian

Board index Photography Technical Questions Circular Polarizers- What works for you?