Board index Photography Technical Questions advise on a canon L series EF 24mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4 lens

Technical Questions

advise on a canon L series EF 24mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4 lens

Discuss technical aspects of photography
rc2007

advise on a canon L series EF 24mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4 lens

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:43 pm

hi, i was thinking of going on a european trip that requires quite a bit of low lite photography and so am contemplating on either the 24mm f1.4 or 35mm f.14 lens. It wiull primarily for scenery, inside museums.

is there a disadvantage to the 34mm because of how wide the angle is? I already have a fisheye 15mm lens.

I am using a canon 5D. thnx for any comments or advise on which to buy? thnx in advance

djwixx

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:26 pm

I would go for the 24mm to give you the wider angle and then add a 50mm F1.8 which is about $150 for closer work and is a great portrait lens for very little money.

sean_mcr

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:04 pm

It all comes down to your style of shooting, that's what must dictate your choice. They're both F/1.4 so will of course be ideal for available light shots

I have a 35mm F/1.4 and i have owned a 24mm F/1.4. Didn't use the 24 mm anywhere near as much as the 35 when i shot film, i much prefer the 35mms focal length; Ii still use it about 90% of the time, it never lets me down.

I only shoot with prime lenses, i like shooting in tough light. The 35mm is the best canon lens i have owned;

The 50's not a portrait lens on a full frame, at least not traditionally. Be good for environmental portraits though, but don't get too close if you're trying to flatter your subjects

So you've got two different opinions already, which shows you that you've really got to consider how you shoot above all else

djwixx

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:10 pm

sean_mcr wrote:It all comes down to your style of shooting, that's what must dictate your choice. They're both F/1.4 so will of course be ideal for available light shots

I have a 35mm F/1.4 and i have owned a 24mm F/1.4. Didn't use the 24 mm anywhere near as much as the 35 when i shot film, i much prefer the 35mms focal length; Ii still use it about 90% of the time, it never lets me down.

I only shoot with prime lenses, i like shooting in tough light. The 35mm is the best canon lens i have owned;

The 50's not a portrait lens on a full frame, at least not traditionally. Be good for environmental portraits though, but don't get too close if you're trying to flatter your subjects

So you've got two different opinions already, which shows you that you've really got to consider how you shoot above all else

Perfect advice. The only reason I ever mention the 50mm F1.8 is personally think it's the best lens you'll ever get for the money on a Nikon or Canon. Close up filters then extend it's capabilities further. I still love it as an all rounder.

rc2007

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Thnx so much for the advise. I finally bought a35mm because I think the 24mm is wider but does not fare as well depth wise. Now that I bought it I will be using it on the trip to see if its really as all rounded as a lot of people say it is.

Thnx again for the feedback. appreciated

Board index Photography Technical Questions advise on a canon L series EF 24mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4 lens