25%
Don't Calibrate
75%

Total votes : 4

eos_man2

Canon 70-200 L IS USM

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi,
I have just bought a Canon 70-200 L IS USM and would like some help on whether people think I should send it off for calibration. If possible as well, if you have sent yours off for calibration, what did you have to send and is there a place on the canon website to contact them and download a form. Thanks

I will be posting images later on so will reply with the hyperlink as soon as I have it.

bclaypole

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:42 am

I bought the 2.8 IS version and a 1d mk II N and found I had a front focus issue. I contacted Canon Canada through email ('contacts us' on their site) and sent in pictures of my kid holding an L-square off of the end of his nose. They clearly showed a front focus issue by 2.5in. They requested I sent in both the body and the lens. The problem was found with the lens and repaired (calibrated) under warranty (sent in warranty card and copy of reciept).

marxz

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 am

bclaypole wrote:They clearly showed a front focus issue by 2.5in.

2.5in.... 6.3cm... !!! holy c**p, sorry, love my Canon gear but how the dickens does something like that manage to get through quality control??? particularly on a premium L series job like the 70-200 2.8!!

All just Another reason I dislike the idea of buying lenses (and particularly the more expensive ones) through eBay or Web based retailers....

I deal with canon professionally (not optical gear - printers) so I know I can kick arse and take names if I ever got landed with expensive glass or bodies that didn't work properly from a local retailer.... but _ only _ if it was local, they'd just laugh at me if it was grey import stuff like you see half these discounters selling.
there is no .sig

bclaypole

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 am

marxz wrote:
All just Another reason I dislike the idea of buying lenses (and particularly the more expensive ones) through eBay or Web based retailers....

Yes, sheepishly, I admit it was through a web store. Live and learn, eh.
Glad I bought the body through Henry's

Board index Photography Technical Questions Canon 70-200 L IS USM