Board index Photography Technical Questions Exposure Advice?

Technical Questions

Exposure Advice?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
dubesor

Exposure Advice?

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:47 am

Hi there,

Maybe some of the pros on here can illustrate to me what's best to do in this situation...

(click on the thumbnail for the original-size image)

I've been playing around with fixing this ovexposed shot: adjusted levels/brightness/contrast + a little dodge/burn in Photoshop with some success (before these mentioned tweaks and the sharpening, the out-of-camera image was largely useless - I think I forgot to change the manual exposure for a series of pictures).

There is still an area that looks really overexposed - the right edge of the left wood spur in the picture. Can any of you show me how to improve it so it's not such a glaring overexposure? I would love it if someone could post some before & afters to illustrate.

Thanks!

Dubesor
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20187007@N00/

sean_mcr

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm

The highlights have gone so there's no information to retrieve; just pure unadulterated white. In other words you can’t bring back what has not been recorded

I'll assume it's winter where you are to, so the best thing you could do is to get out there and shoot it again on a snowy day
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

Board index Photography Technical Questions Exposure Advice?