Board index Photography Technical Questions radio wireless triggering a 20D, IR beam breaker style?

Technical Questions

radio wireless triggering a 20D, IR beam breaker style?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
marxz

radio wireless triggering a 20D, IR beam breaker style?

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 am

looking at a setup in the not too distant future for taking pictures while motorcycle touring.... while static shots of "bike+rider+significant landmark" are fine I'd like to also be able to set up shots where I can capture the bike (with me on it) in motion and not wanting to be concerned with trying to manually use a remote/wireless trigger while handling the bike.

so I guess tripod + camera + infra-red beam breaker + wireless trigger.

what sort of kit is out there that can do this (of course having tripods and cameras already just asking about the second two items)?

I know people use the pocket-wizards mainly to trigger remote flashes but from what I read it can also remotely trigger the camera (I'm guessing with an adaptor to Canon's shutter release jack). But can the Pocket-Wizard it's self be remote triggered with a IR beam breaker? Are there "pocket wizard" compatible IR beam breakers?

Any other alternatives to Pocket Wizards for remote camera triggering?

Tried googling this but just get PocketWizard's page + pages and pages of various forum stuff about people complaining that the middle/high end Canon and Nikons don't have built in infrared remote capacity (which is so not what I'm looking for)

PocketWizards downloadable manual doesn't seem to be all that helpful either
there is no .sig

castledude

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Pocket wizards are probably not what you are looking for.

You could modify this type of circuit...
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/markh/cam_trig/cam_trig.html

Premade units
http://www.bmumford.com/photo/camctlr.html

How the shutter needs to be wired on a 20D
http://www.cline-company.com/blog/?p=20

Wizards are more for doing things at a distance. From your description, your trigger and camera are not going to be any distance apart. The wizard would only be useful if you wanted to put one wizard on the bike and another on the camera. Then you would push the trigger button manually as you passed the camera.

marxz

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:46 am

thanks though actually I'm thinking the distance from the camera to the beam breaker is likely to be in the order of 20 - 100 meters from the camera. (also the trigger is a different plug than any of my EOS's have (5,10,30, D60,20D) - uses a proprietary jack similar to a mini DIN - I could hack a canon or third party cable release though, I'll just need to google on the wiring lay out for it)

I'll probably wander in to the local pro photo retailer after the new year and talk to their tech guys, I used to work with them at a computer repair shop some years back so I know they are quite handy with making up stuff (and hacking existing stuff) to do things like this.
there is no .sig

Board index Photography Technical Questions radio wireless triggering a 20D, IR beam breaker style?