Board index Photography Technical Questions Exposure brainteaser

Technical Questions

Exposure brainteaser

Discuss technical aspects of photography
steveprice

Exposure brainteaser

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:02 pm

When I saw the EXIF I had used for this picture I realised that the settings worked OK but they are not the optimum settings.

So here's the BRAINTEASER: How could I have improved the EXIF for this picture? And what effect would the improvement have had?

I will post the answer in a few days time.

Steve Price

gemmf

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:46 pm

What do you mean how you could have improved the EXIF?? EXIF isn't something you can improve. It's just info about the images. (or am I missing something here??) :? :?

marxz

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:35 pm

AS you can't "improve" the EXIF, as EXIF just is.... or it's altered to tell a lie.

Assume you mean EV (aperture/speed/ISO ratio) I would have probably, at the risk of losing some detail in the foreground but bringing some sky detail in, opened it up to f11 (+2EV) and increased the speed to 1/200th (so you expose slightly darker)

f22 is pretty choked and I'd bet dispersion has made the background softer than the aperture DoF would suggest .

Also I'm not familiar with the 5D but I know on my 20D ISO 1600 has lost 2 stops of latitude (dynamic range) even in RAW over ISO 400 so I probably would have also considered going down to 800 or 400 (which would probably take you back to your original shutter speed) to get a stop or two latitude and regain some foreground detail
there is no .sig

Board index Photography Technical Questions Exposure brainteaser