Board index Photography Technical Questions Aquarium Photography

Technical Questions

Aquarium Photography

Discuss technical aspects of photography
djwixx

Aquarium Photography

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:47 am

Below is my first attempt at aquarium photography and I went in cold with the little knowledge I have.
http://www.pbase.com/djwixx/downtownaquarium

The pictures aren't examples of good results but serve as a means to start a topic on achieving good results, hence being in the technical questions forum and not the show and tell.
I'm sure there's a lot of experts out there who have all the answers!

Anyone got any good tips on how to get good results in an aquarium?

Any hints and tips appreciated.

williamdrew

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 am

I was just taking pics of my own aquarium tonight, and this is a GREAT subject to bring up. I've done my best making adjustments but have not yet found something that makes the pictures stand out.

prinothcat

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:41 pm

These look good. I like the range of colors that you were able to capture. My immediate reaction would be to play with the white balance, as I'm seeing a bit of green coloring many of the images. I suspect either the aquarium glass or the lighting. Can you use a reference white value with the D-80? I see it like using a gray card in the old days to find that neutral gray to base exposure on. This little fishy seems tinted toward green while these two show better whites. Note that in the second image the bigger fish is not quite as white as the second smaller fish. I suspect something is fooling your meter into "seeing" a bit to much green. Perhaps this will give me something to play with next week when I'm in San Diego and there is an aquarium to visit..... No fishies in UT I'm afraid. Oh and once again Google proves me wrong....... May have to run off and try this.

djwixx

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 am

prinothcat wrote:These look good. I like the range of colors that you were able to capture. My immediate reaction would be to play with the white balance, as I'm seeing a bit of green coloring many of the images. I suspect either the aquarium glass or the lighting. Can you use a reference white value with the D-80? I see it like using a gray card in the old days to find that neutral gray to base exposure on. This little fishy seems tinted toward green while these two show better whites. Note that in the second image the bigger fish is not quite as white as the second smaller fish. I suspect something is fooling your meter into "seeing" a bit to much green. Perhaps this will give me something to play with next week when I'm in San Diego and there is an aquarium to visit..... No fishies in UT I'm afraid. Oh and once again Google proves me wrong....... May have to run off and try this.

Thanks - I wonder if the colour was overcooked using the vibrance option when opening raw?

gusitar

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for opening the thread Dave! I'm going to an aquarium soon. g

alibaby

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:32 pm

That green cast is easy to get rid of. Open the file and duplicate the background layer. Then apply blur/average to the duped layer. Open a curves layer and use the neutral eyedropper on the blurred mess and click OK. Then delete the blurred layer and adjust the opacity of the curves layer if it's over the top a bit.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Aquarium Photography