Board index Photography Technical Questions What kind of portrait light kit??

Technical Questions

What kind of portrait light kit??

Discuss technical aspects of photography
irislynx

What kind of portrait light kit??

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:07 am

Hi all, I'm more or less a beginner at the world DSLR, But, Picking up at it along the line here and there. What I would like to know is: What would you recommend as a good starter kit for doing portrait work? I have been seeing all kinds of kits with umbrellas and lights ect. But, In all honesty, I'm not sure which kind does what. Ã

djwixx

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:31 pm

Buy book "Lighting for Portrait Photography" by Steve Bavister. It'll give you an idea of setups you may be interested in then it may make it easier to decide what you want to commit to.

irislynx

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks djwixx, I appreciate your help! :)

atkelley

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 am

I am also somewhat new to studio lights and did not want to break the bank. I did alot of research and came to the decision on Alien Bees. So far I love them although I am still learning them. The are capable of great photos when used correctly.
Also to save money I went with 2 400's.

This is a link to there website: http://www.alienbees.com/

irislynx

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 am

Thanks so much atkelley! I have recently been talking with someone else about lighting and they have the same ...Alien bee's and I am definately thinking about doing that route! The person seems pretty happy with theres and you seem happy with yours so I'm going to look into it a little better and most likely give the alien bees a try! Thanks again!

Board index Photography Technical Questions What kind of portrait light kit??