Board index Photography Technical Questions Backdrop suggestions

Technical Questions

Backdrop suggestions

Discuss technical aspects of photography
heffa

Backdrop suggestions

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:02 am

Can you recommend a good source for a beginner backdrop set for an aspiring amateur? I'm planning to start with black and white and use gels for colors. I've looked at a few websites and found this as a possible option: http://aurabackdrops.com/beginnerpack-p-353.html

Any other suggestions? Also, I've been advised that any potential wrinkling of the muslin would probably be concealed by lights and DOF. Agreed? Or does your experience suggest I might want to look at other materials?

Thanks!

gilp

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:00 pm

go to your nearest pro photo shop and buy paper backdrop rolls... they are around 50$ for 30' x 8' wide, and come in a myriad of shades, the more colors you have the more creative you will become! you can hang them with what ever you find and you will have a great time!

Paper backdrops are not just for "beginers"... they are a mainstay of studio work!

sloaner

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 am

Here's an idea for you that I've used. Go to your local fabric/sewing supply store and buy muslin. You can get 109" which is 9' wide. The last time I bought some it was about $8-$9 a yard. Get the bleach white kind then you can dye it or paint it to your liking. I have made a blue and burgendy one that way (9' x 15'). And the wrinkles are a benefit.
sloaner

Board index Photography Technical Questions Backdrop suggestions