Board index Photography Technical Questions CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)

Technical Questions

CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)

Discuss technical aspects of photography
richaspden

CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:27 am

I have a canon 40D which had a few specks of dust when looking through the viewfinder but not appearing on photos, stupidly i know i have tried to wipe the mirror and more spots and marks have appeared. I don't think the mirror is scratched but can someone tell me if the mirror on this camera can be cleaned to remove the marks (by Canon in the UK perhaps?) or alternatively any idea how much it would cost to replace the mirror in the UK?
Many thanks

dharden

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:01 pm

You shouldn't really touch the mirror but i've had to do it before and not killed anything yet!

Get a soft microfibre lens cloth, blow (preferably suck!) any loose bits off the mirror first, then breathe on it to fog it and give it a gentle polish. Whatever the manufacturers say, if you do it just this once and are careful you should be OK. May take a couple of rubs but I'm fairly sure you'll sort it.

At the point you're at now, even if that doesn't work (although as long as you haven't scratched it then it should be OK) you're not in any WORSE position eh? :)

HTH...

qleap

Similar to Sensor Cleaning

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:37 pm

I'd recommend using the same method to clean your sensor using a PecPad, Eclipse cleaning fluid and rubber spatula. Nicholas R. http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning takes you through the process, step by step, for cleaning your sensor and it should work as well on your mirror. I also use PecPads to clean the exterior of my camera and lens, etc.

coolay_11

Re: CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:06 pm

why worry>> it's only mirror, you are talking about somthing nothing todo with camera jop's, you are not cleaning the sensor, the sensor also covered with glass so you can clean it so easy, the best way for cleaning it's, breath foging the mirror after using the pen brush to make sure there is nothing cold scratch it then use the = magic pen = it's the perfect way .
i use to clean my 20D sensor so easy by these steps, plus am using hair dryer from the back side as a soft vacume to clean it from dust and mechanical dusut from the shutter parts and others. ;0)

richaspden

Re: CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Board index Photography Technical Questions CANON 40D MIRROR (HELP!)