Board index Photography Technical Questions I need help with my newly-acquired Nikon N55 camera

Technical Questions

I need help with my newly-acquired Nikon N55 camera

Discuss technical aspects of photography
melainea

I need help with my newly-acquired Nikon N55 camera

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm

I have a Nikon N55 Camera. I need help with using it. I do not have an instruction booklet.

Please tell me what the problem is -- I have a Nikon AF Nikkon lens 28-80 mm attached and, looking through the viewfinder, it appears black, as though I have a lens cap on...but I do not. ??????

Thank you,

Melaine

dang

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:20 pm

It could be most anything from having a setting wrong (mirror lock up?), dead battery (lose connection) or broken. I'd suggest taking it to a local camera store and have someone look to see if it's something simple. You might check this site to see if they have a manual you can download also: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html

And, you might post your question in the film camera forum (scroll down the main forum page, it's in the lower sections) instead of this one in case someone is familiar with this specific model. Sorry I can't help you more, but it's not a body I'm familiar with.

Good luck.

prinothcat

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:12 am

There is a service advisory out from Nikon USA on these.. Appears there is an auto focus issue with some of them. click here to obtain service authorization.
You might also try Ask Nikon A Question

Compatibility Issues (swiped from here)
The N55 is compatible with the AF, AF-D, and AF-G series lenses, as well as the few manual focus AI-P lenses with built-in CPU chip. However, you cannot use other manual focus lenses on this camera. Note, too, that the N55 does not provide autofocus with AF-S lenses and cannot support the Vibration Reduction feature of VR lenses. All of this is understandable in an entry-level model.

Another thing to look at may be a shutter that covers the viewfinder when one uses a timer on a tri pod and your eye would not cover the rear eye piece. I vote for a bad battery myself. What is interesting is that neither google, Nikon USA nor yahoo turn up an online version of the manual.

picturefrank

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:51 pm

This might help you with your digital camera or at least be a nice piece of information.

prinothcat

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 pm

picturefrank wrote:This might help you with your digital camera or at least be a nice piece of information.

it would except he N-55 is a film camera.....

picturefrank

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 am

Sorry, my bad. :)

Board index Photography Technical Questions I need help with my newly-acquired Nikon N55 camera