Board index Photography Technical Questions Canon 70-200mm F/4 ISUM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

Technical Questions

Canon 70-200mm F/4 ISUM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

Discuss technical aspects of photography
richaspden

Canon 70-200mm F/4 ISUM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Hope that someone can help me. I have just sold my Canon 70-200mm lens to fund a 100-400mm upgrade but the person i have sold to has now stated that there is a problem with the manual focusing and has said

QUOTE " If I turn the focus ring from infinity to close focus, the distance scale does not always move by the same amount and it takes several steps to make it go from infinity to closest focus distance. This does not happen if I try to turn from close to infinity".

I have always used the lens on autofocus so have never encountered this problem, does anyone know if this is a common problem with these lenses and easily fixed by canon, what's the best way of going about it, the lens is 10 months old and under warranty still.

Many thanks

moffetb

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I believe the 70-200mm is like the 100-400 in that is has a slip ring so that you can manually focus the lens even if the auto-focus is on. it sounds as if the slip mechanism is slipping too much when they are trying to focus from infinity to close focus. While this does not surprise me, I would think that Canon should be able to do something about it under warranty.

If I were you, I would contact Canon support and see what they say, rather than waiting for an answer from here. We can't fix it for you, they can :-)

Brian

jniemann

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:07 am

I have had first-hand experience with this problem with my own 70-200f/4L.
It will need to be sent to Canon for repair, although I believe it is easy for them to fix.

Please see my other post regarding this.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Canon 70-200mm F/4 ISUM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...