Board index Photography Technical Questions Canon Mark III

Technical Questions

Canon Mark III

Discuss technical aspects of photography
kammphoto

Canon Mark III

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello, I have recently purchased the Mark III with the serial number not in the faulty-mirror range. I will be using it for sports and some portraits. I did some test shots and found out that it was not as sharp as I would like. I used a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and a Canon 24-70 f/2.8. The camera was set to automatic and the drive mode on one shot. I set my strobes low enough to allow a f/2.8 on both lenses. Using Mountain Dew cans, I placed them at varying distances about 1 inch apart. (One can in the middle and one up about an inch and one set back an inch from the center can.) I focused on the middle can. I noticed that with both lenses the can in the front was the sharpest. I took around 12 frames in Raw and JPG. Each frame I adjusted the AF Microadjustment (2:Adjust by lens). My finding was that with both lenses the +10 setting was the best. That setting gave the can in the middle the sharpest point. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they have done to correct it. I have not had the time to check out these setting in the AL SERVO drive mode and was wondering if those setting could possibly mess that part up.

Keith

dynofatcat

Re: Canon Mark III

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:22 am

you need to check Mark III's manual first.

I heard Mark III doesn't work well with 70-200mm lens, especially in the larger aperture. for more description you need to check your manual

dougj

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am

DPReview has a very active forum on the 1D and 1Ds bodies. Some users mention using the AF microadjustment, but no real problems in doing so from what I've read. I don't have this camera, I suggest you check out that forum as there are a lot of experienced users posting experiences and answering questions.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1032

I suggest you disregard the comment about the 70-200 not working well with the 1D series bodies. Although well intentioned, I don't think it's accurate in its entirety. That lens is a mainstay for many pros shooting the 1D bodies, f/2.8 and faster lenses improve the AF accuracy.

kammphoto

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks for the replies, I will check out DPReview.

caswell

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:50 pm

I have a M3 and the 70-200 f2.8 IS lens, I have shot well over 30,000 picts through my M3 since I have purchase it in June of 07, I will say some of the fist bodies were having issues with tracking objects in Aiservo mode, I'm now on my 4th M3 body, and finally one with a fix, I have about 10,000 clicks through it and this camera is now close to the keeper rate of the M2 I previously owned, I did micro adjust all my lenses 24-70, 70-200, 85, 50, 135, 100, 150, 300, 500. and all of these lenses were in the rage of +9 to +12, I feel this has improved AI very much so. I hope this helps and feel free to look at my nature gallery , there are several M3 duck in flight shots in this gallery.

Chad

emcphotoart

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:38 pm

We have just got a nikon D300, you can't beat it in any way, shape or form with a canon! the new Nikon is unbelieveable! we shoot in raw, run nikon capture and we get tiff files that are anywhere from 50 to 100 meg in size! tou can count the vanes on a birds feather! the hair on the face of a doe! it has become the best on the market!

dougj

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 pm

emcphotoart wrote:We have just got a nikon D300, you can't beat it in any way, shape or form with a canon! the new Nikon is unbelieveable! we shoot in raw, run nikon capture and we get tiff files that are anywhere from 50 to 100 meg in size! tou can count the vanes on a birds feather! the hair on the face of a doe! it has become the best on the market!

I looked at your D300 gallery, you have some nice photos, I hope you enjoy the camera. I don't want to hijack this thread, but talking about feathers & vanes, here are a couple I'll post. The first is with a 300mm prime shot at f/5, 1/200 ISO800; the second is with a 70-200 zoom with a 1.4 teleconverter added, shot at 280mm, 1/400, ISO400. Both shots are hand held, cropped and post processed.

The first was taken with a 30D , the second with a 10D.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Canon Mark III