Board index Photography Technical Questions JPEG doesnt resemble TIFF

Technical Questions

JPEG doesnt resemble TIFF

Discuss technical aspects of photography
andres_sm

JPEG doesnt resemble TIFF

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:02 am

I have a Canon D300 and shot in RAW. To process the pictures I use Photoshop Elements 4.0 and have been learning over the past few years. Lately, as I've experimented more and more with Photoshop I have noticed that I get the picture to look how I want in TIFF format, then save the it as an JPEG file upload the picture and when I see it on pbase it looks way different.

I have also notice that if i open the jpeg with photoshop it will look like the TIFF file, but if I open with a different program it doesnt look the same.... it is very frustrating since i dont know what to do..

any suggestions?

marxz

Re: JPEG doesnt resemble TIFF

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:56 am

I'm guessing your not saving the JPeG as sRGB format, so that when viewed in a browser that doesn't properly support non sRGB images it renders colours and gamma incorrectly.

When you then reopening the JPG in photoshop photoshop recognises the JPeG's imbedded colour profile and displays it with the correct colour profile.

You can set your Photoshop working space to sRGB so that what your working on looks like how it will render when it's saved down to sRGB profiled JPG, also using the "Save for web" function will do a conversion to sRGB (though it will strip out a heck of a lot of EXIF data as well - which may be good or not good - as always YMMV)

I use Lightroom as my main editing and catalogue management program, and the export using sRGB function works well enough for web work but still retains all the EXIF data
there is no .sig

tommy_and_lacette

Post Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 am

I too am having a similar problem. Could you answer the question above in more of a "newbie" type language so that I can understand. I have been researching this problem for awhile and I went back and saved one of the "problem" photos as sRGB, I think. I went to color settings and RGB I selected sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Then, I resaved the photo but it still looks weird and muted with no contrast when I upload the photo onto pbase. I am getting so frustrated that I have stopped editing altogether.

ernst

Post Tue May 27, 2008 7:49 am

In Photoshop (don't know if it's the same for Photoshop Elements), make sure you select Convert to Color profile instead of Assign Profile. Then use Save As... and make sure to mark the checkbox Include color (ICC) profile.

emagix

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:41 am

tommy_and_lacette wrote:I too am having a similar problem. Could you answer the question above in more of a "newbie" type language so that I can understand. I have been researching this problem for awhile and I went back and saved one of the "problem" photos as sRGB, I think. I went to color settings and RGB I selected sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Then, I resaved the photo but it still looks weird and muted with no contrast when I upload the photo onto pbase. I am getting so frustrated that I have stopped editing altogether.

There's a difference between the way a picture is displayed in Photoshop and the way it is displayed as a jpeg in a browser. That's why photoshop has preview options for different output formats. If you're working in RGB mode, you can toggle between 'photoshop' and preview mode (proof colors) by pressing Ctrl-Y. In the view menu you can select which setting you want to preview. Details can be found on the web, such as here: http://www.creativepro.com/article/tips ... -photoshop

Board index Photography Technical Questions JPEG doesnt resemble TIFF