Board index Photography Technical Questions Lens for Canon EOS 30D

Technical Questions

Lens for Canon EOS 30D

Discuss technical aspects of photography
chestersgallery

Lens for Canon EOS 30D

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:37 pm

I have just recently purchased my first digital SLR. The canon 30D. I was looking to venture into macro photography and was wondering if any of you PBase users could recomend a good starter macro lens. Preferably with a link to your PBase galleries taken with the recommended lens. Im also looking to purchase a good General purpose second lense to compliment the 17-85 that came with the body. Its a mine field for 1st time lens buyers out there so any advice would be appreciated

dynofatcat

Re: Lens for Canon EOS 30D

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:13 am

I have 30D as well. and I am also intersted at marco shotting( just interested, still training). I bought Canon 100mm marco lens recently, but I prefer to have more length after i use 100 marco for some times. 100mm marco lens is good facility, but some times I think I need more distance not to disturb subject, especially sensitive ones.

in the case of marco lens, I think the optical and workmanship shouldn't be much difference. maybe Sigma 180 3.5 or 150 2.8 is your good choice.

dougj

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:22 am

There is a very experienced, and helpful, macro photographer on PBase named Dang. You may want to check out his galleries, maybe he'll stop by & visit this thread.

http://www.pbase.com/dang

dang

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks, Doug. Much appreciated.
Chester wrote:
I was looking to venture into macro photography and was wondering if any of you PBase users could recomend a good starter macro lens. Im also looking to purchase a good General purpose second lense to compliment the 17-85 that came with the body.

It would be helpful to know if you're wanting one lens to do both, or two separate lenses and your anticipated budget. Here's a few suggestions for both which can be considered, and reasons for re-considering.

If you need a lens for both, and are on a limited budget.. a Tamron 70-300LD macro might do the trick. They're priced about $160.00 (US) at B&H & carry a 6 year warranty. The magnification for macro is half life size reproduction. They give a comfortable 30" working distance at minimum focus. They're pretty sharp for the price if you need a lot of versatility. Example photos here: http://www.pbase.com/dang/ef50
The disadvantage is (like all inexpensive lenses of it's class) suffer some flare problems if shooting in bright light, especially toward the sun. And when shooting in macro mode, the long length means keeping the shutter speed higher due to shake. So higher ISO's and bright light are helpful for macro, or using a tripod or flash.

If you're wanting a true macro lens, a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro is the least expensive "quality" lens giving life size magnification. You can find lots of example shots by looking in the camera database here: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/50_28_ex_dg_macro
If I recall correctly, they sell for around $269.00 (US). Sharp, but lacks the faster focusing of more expensive lenses.

Another less expensive alternative would be the EF50mm f/1.8, and a set of ProOptic tubes. The EF 50 is less than $89.00 & tubes the same. This gives you a fast lens for low light, and tubes get you above life size (though very close working distance). More info on tubes & converters here: http://www.pbase.com/dang/tubes

Information about various macro lenses field of view, using M42 manual bellows/lenses, reversed lens, diopters (another inexpensive alternative) & such you can browse starting here: http://www.pbase.com/dang/lenses

If you have any questions about something not covered, pmail and I'll get back to you. I've tried to cover most things, but if I've missed something let me know.
Hope it's helpful.

chestersgallery

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Thats more than I could have ever hoped for from a forum posting Dang. Thankyou very much. The pictures in your galleries have wet my appetite even more for a macro lens as well as giving me some good idea of what to look for. I wasn't even aware that one lens could be so multi pupose (The tamron 70-300) so thats a big help too. I was looking to purchase two seperate lenses but with that added versatility on the tamron I may re-think. Your help is much appreciated. ANd your galleries are a class above . Thankyou

dang

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks,
Glad you found it helpful. If you don't mind, let us know when you have some photos posted so we can see how you're
coming along.
Enjoy whatever you decide.

chestersgallery

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:04 am

I just hope there good enough to post. :lol:

Board index Photography Technical Questions Lens for Canon EOS 30D