Board index Photography Technical Questions Neutral density filters??

Technical Questions

Neutral density filters??

Discuss technical aspects of photography
bhdeki

Neutral density filters??

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

I am in the market for a 77mm graudated neutral density filter. The prices are all over the map. What is the difference between a $75 filter and a $250 filter? Is the quality of the components dramatically different from one to the other? FYI I am considering buying a "FORMATT 77mm Graduated Neutral Density (ND) 0.6 Glass Filter - Soft Edge" for $132 at BHPhotoVideo.
Thank you for your help,
Bhrett

djwixx

Re: Neutral density filters??

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 am

I don't have specific experience but I can say my decent circular polarizer was dropped, and I had a 'cheap' spare from a another set and the quality of the glass was abysmal and resulted in horrible artifacts in big skies. I can only assume you get what you pay for. My cheap option was from a big box store, so I tend to make sure I buy renowned brands and accept the cost.

If you find one that works for you I'd love to see the results. I've been considering the option, but the prices have made it a sticking point.

prinothcat

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:33 am

Indeed no two filters are created equal. An inexpensive filter makes some compromise to achieve its price point. I went with cheapy Cokin stuff to use as I figured out which would have what effect and will buy better quality as I decide which ones I really need (more realistically which ones get trashed first). Some food for thought. If you use round threaded ND Grads, you have to make some compromises when composing images since you are unable to move the transition line up or down (side to side) without shifting the lens itself. For this reason, square ND's are used instead so that one can frame the image then slide the filter to the point where it provides the desired effect. A tip I picked up was to compose, position the filter, then use your DOF preview to see whether or not the filter is having the desired effect. There are some examples using ND grads in my galleries. I use them on many of my landscapes. I usually note the grade in the tech notes. I do use rounds when I want to slow my shutter speeds to blur water or other movement, and ISO 100 and f16 don't limit the EV enough (f16 being the point where diffraction starts to rob sharpness). I like the Cokin P mount because it's inexpensive and will mount any one else's square filters.

examples:

ND was placed just above the far ridge line. Image would have been improved if I had been packing a strobe to highlight the sign

One was used here, but I have no recollection of what the grade was (most likely a soft transition ND 8 ). I suspect that it was placed just below the line where the ocean meets the rocks.

Filter placed here angled to follow the line of the snow in the foreground
Images are linked should one wish to see the originals.

bhdeki

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Thank for both of your responses. I have decided that I need to learn more about the different brands, styles, etc. before I make a purchase. With regard to price the consensus of the folks I have spoken with is that you pretty much get what you pay for.
Cheers,
Bhrett

Board index Photography Technical Questions Neutral density filters??