Board index Photography Technical Questions Digital Holga attempts

Technical Questions

Digital Holga attempts

Discuss technical aspects of photography
stuegan

Digital Holga attempts

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:42 am

Hi,

I've been working on creating a holga effect with some digital photos recently, and wondered if anybody familiar with holga film photos could take a look and offer some constructive criticism if they have time please? I find that for each roll of medium format film I process in the UK I only ever get one, maybe two photos I'm happy with, which is frustrating; due to the cost of development I've been trying to get a similar look using digital for a while now, and some new toys I found to play with mean these are the closest I've got so far...

The gallery is here: http://www.pbase.com/stuegan/fake_plastic_photos. They were taken with a Nikon D80 and all the alterations have taken place in Photoshop.

I'm just looking for a little feedback on the effects - what does / doesn't look like it's been taken with a Holga camera...what works for you, what doesn't...does it look like too much noise is applied....how about the blur when it is used....etc. etc. Any opinions would be much appreciated. My own thoughts, judging from Holga film photos I've seen in the past, is that some of the photos in the gallery with strong contrast applied don't quite carry the effect off.

Cheers,

Stu

stuegan

Re: Digital Holga attempts

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:43 am

Also...if anybody has any useful tips or is able to recommend any techniques that might help that would be great! :D

pinemikey

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:23 am

The images look great, Stu. The funny thing is, you probably put much more work into each image than you would have if you just went out and got a Holga, shot a roll or two and scanned them. Still, I like the effect. You give me an idea to try something similar with a few images that just viewed clearly just don't do much for me.

stuegan

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much. I guess the reason I've been doing this is cost rather than time (without wishing to sound like a skinflint!). I think it would have taken me way more than a roll or two just to get the 15 or 20 or so in there at the moment. Maybe if you have a go with some older photos and like the results you could post them here, or drop me a mail? I'd be interested to see them.

Cheers,

Stu

jreal

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 am

Stu
I love the work you have there. My favorite is Camberwell Old Cemetery. A beautiful and very authentic looking Holga.
I have a gallery of Photoshop Holga attempts but I am not sure how authentic looking they are.
http://www.pbase.com/jreal/atthefarm
I am not knowledgeable about Holga cameras but I certainly feel you have some wonderful work in your gallery.
Jeff

sean_mcr

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 am

Long time no see, Stu

Before you give up on the holga, you should consider this book, It's well rated

http://michellebates.net/PCTWC.php.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/HolgaManual3.pdf

As for the look, in my honest opinion (and you know we think a like in a lot of ways) you just can't make a 35mm or a dslr look like it came from a medium format camera, they just don't have the same look. You might be able to mimic the imperfection of the Holga, but much of its appeal comes from it being medium format.
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

stuegan

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Jeff - thanks very much for taking the time to look and thanks for the link.

Sean - likewise, thanks for the feedback and the links. I should point out that I'm not giving up with the holga just yet despite having a go with these digital versions. In fact I've got way too many rolls that have been sat around waiting to be developed. I've forgotten what's on them now - what's the point in that eh? I should get my backside in gear and get them sorted. I've printed off that guide and will have a read this evening.

sean_mcr

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:12 am

Hiya mate,

You do know that there's a 35mm version,don't you?
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

benjikan

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:31 pm

You can actually purchase a Holga Lens for Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax and Sony..

Just scroll down and check them out.

http://www.holgamods.com/

Ben :)

stuegan

Post Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Ben,
Thanks for that. I actually do own one of those holgamod lenses (for Canon) which I bought last year. I think it's an excellent website and the service is very good...but I don't think it works too well to be honest. Maybe it was just me though!!!
Stu

Board index Photography Technical Questions Digital Holga attempts