Board index Photography Technical Questions macro technical

Technical Questions

macro technical

Discuss technical aspects of photography
simon4

macro technical

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Which would produce the best results, between the canon 500 close up lens or kenko extension tubes attached to a nikon 105mm macro VR. the 105 lens alone manages a 1:1. So when attaching one of the above what magnification would result. thank you.Simon.

djwixx

Re: macro technical

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Arguable the extension tubes would produce better results because you're not introducing more glass into the equation. I've seen great results with the 500D but on a 70-200 but I'm not sure what it would give you on a 105 macro. I think either option will reduce the depth of field to the point where you'll have to use a tripod and a flash for some fill light to get reasonable results at higher apertures. I suppose the answer is how close do you want to get!!!

Below is a useful article that covers the whole subject for you,
http://www.camerahobby.com/Access-Canon500D.htm

dang

Re: macro technical

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 pm

I agree... No question, I'd go for the tubes. If the price difference is being considered , you can check ProOptics tubes which are almost half the price of Kenko. They're not built quiet as nice, but should work fine with your lens and get you closer than the 500D. While the 500D is a nice +4 diopter, it does suffer some minor problems with flare and tends to soften toward the edges. It's advantage being, it doesn't eat light like tubes. But as suggested, using a flash helps tremendously. The larger the magnification, the less dof you'll have either way, so stopping down is a must.

Board index Photography Technical Questions macro technical