Board index Photography Technical Questions What is the best camera for taking publicityphotos?

Technical Questions

What is the best camera for taking publicityphotos?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
vasinger

What is the best camera for taking publicityphotos?

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Im a musician and I want to take some photos for an upcoming record im doing but dont want to spend a lot of money on a pro. photographer.

I have an 8 Mega pixel Digital GE camera and a 35 MM Olympus camera. I have heard the 35 mm will have a resolution much better like at least a 10 Mp digital - but I still sometimes get grainy pics from that as well. Is there any camera I could get for under 200$ that would do the trick?

Or any suggestions? I want to do outdoor and indoor shots. What time of day is best? Lights?

pinemikey

Re: What is the best camera for taking publicityphotos?

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:34 am

This should be good for a laugh.

sean_mcr

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:21 am

If you can get Bono to sing at my wedding for $200, I'll do your promo shots for you.
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

chezzy

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi.
The way a camera is used is the only consideration.
8 Meg/pix is more than adaquate for a good 10x8.
Slowest iso, tripod and f8 to f11 on AV mode.
Cheers.
Al.

parpho

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 pm

You are not promoting your brother inlaw here you are promoting you. If the album art is not at least as good as the musical content you are toast. Spend the budget on art. :D

ericvision

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Grab a Canon D30 and a Canon 50mm f1.8 from ebay. Shouldn't set you back too much, but it'll take great low-light shots, easily printable up to A4. If you can get a D60, even better.

mnoble

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Hire a professional. You are a professional musician, I presume. Trade for services if you have to. But get a pro.

:lol:

moxfactor

Post Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

alternatively, you could try to find one of those replica Holgas/Lomos that are film cameras around $100US. develop them at a generic photo developing place and scan them into Photoshop. If you know how to do this, the effect is actually quite good, but this style is usually for old school grunge/punk/ska bands.

otherwise, like above mentioned, hire a professional. nothing kills first impressions like bad visuals.

Board index Photography Technical Questions What is the best camera for taking publicityphotos?