Board index Photography Technical Questions Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400

Technical Questions

Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400

Discuss technical aspects of photography
balraj

Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400 while shooting outdoor potraits

djwixx

Re: Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Try the widest aperture and see what results you get at different focal lengths to give you what you want. It'll depend on your distance from the subject and the subjects distance from the background.

balraj

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks,
I want to know does appertue,Lens & Speed matter.

djwixx

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Shutter speed and aperture are directly related. Use the camera in shutter priority and as you change the shutter speed the aperture will change. Use the camera in aperture priority and as you change the aperture the shutter speed will change. The wider the aperture the quicker the shutter speed will be, which will result in a low depth of field to achieve the blurry background (bokeh) that you want.

doady

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 am

Nikon 5400, is like my camera, with a small sensor has huge depth of field, it is hard to get a blurry background, outside of macro photography. An aperture of F4 on your camera has the equivalent depth of field as F19 as on 35mm film camera! So you must try harder to get blurry background. Using a largest aperture setting by itself won't be enough, you must move closer to the subject, decrease focus distance, zoom in, and whatever else that decreases depth of field.

balraj

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:37 am

Thanks,
Is it Possible only in Macro mode only,pls check this picture http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/image/18834016&exif=Y,and tell me

djwixx

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm

balraj wrote:Thanks,
Is it Possible only in Macro mode only,pls check this picture http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/image/18834016&exif=Y,and tell me

It's not only possible in macro mode, but you need to bear in mind that the close you are to a subject the tighter the depth of field will be, hence the results of your shot. The exif says your using program mode. Try Aperture mode and open the aperture as wide as possible - low F number and see what happens. As stated already, on a point and shoot, the widest aperture will have a greater depth of field than an equivalent aperture on a (D)SLR. You could check out http://www.dofmaster.com and see what the hyperfocal distances look like for your camera at various focal lengths and work with that.

Another option to get the effect you want is using photoshop to select the foreground, the inverse the selection and apply some subtle guassian blur to create a similar effect.

doady

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:16 pm

No, blurry background is not only possible in macro mode, but it is example of how the focus distance affects the depth of field. With a shorter focus distance, there is smaller depth of field, and therefore more blur.

Again, the three most important determinants of depth of field (DOF) that I can think of:

- focus distance (increases DOF)
- F-stop (increases DOF)
- lens focal length (decreases DOF)

You must pay attention to these if you want to control depth of field. IMO, on a compact camera with a small sensor, the focus distance is the most important factor. Hope this helps.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Can i Shoot Blurry Bacground with my nikon 5400