Board index Photography Technical Questions Zigview

Technical Questions

Zigview

Discuss technical aspects of photography
macromaniacphotography

Zigview

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi everybody. Is there anyone who is using Zigview? I'd like to know whether it works.
I want to use it mainly for candid and self portraiture.
Thanks
ILY

dang

Re: Zigview

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

macromaniacphotography wrote:Hi everybody. Is there anyone who is using Zigview? I'd like to know whether it works.
I want to use it mainly for candid and self portraiture.
Thanks
ILY

Useless for self portraiture since it doesn't swivel to the side, and impossible to view from the front of the camera. Instead it rotates while the
image stays upright. This means at 45 degrees rotation, the image cuts across the corners. It also doesn't fold flat, and it's plastic mount could easily break.
Personally, for candid, I feel you'd do much better with a point & shoot which costs about the same. The advantage of the upper line Ziggy is the ability
for "time lapse", and works okay for night photography. But otherwise, you'll rarely use it.

macromaniacphotography

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks very much Dang.
I appreciate your reply.
What about the cable available which may connect the zigview with the camera? Isn't it something in self portraiture?

dang

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Ah... haven't looked at them in awhile, I see they've come out with a new ZIGVIEW S2 system.
Looks okay, but I'd still be concerned about the way it protrudes from the viewfinder connection. If you slip off the rubber eyepiece, you'll see
the body has a thin plastic piece it slides over, even if the Zigview were to be made from steel (which mine wasn't), it's a pretty fragile connection.
And at the price of $469.00... (unless you feel the lower end model would suffice). I'd add a bit and purchase a body with built in LCD, or a P&S.

A lesser expensive alternative would be connecting directly to a computer (for self portrait work) using cables, depending on your current body. I'd personally rather view via a nice sized monitor than a 3 inch LCD screen anyway. Canon has Remote Capture software included with their bodies, not sure
what others offer.

For "candid" shots, I've found smaller cameras are less intimidating, and go without notice. It depends on what your needs are
as to how usable different equipment would be. What works for one, might be trash to another, so it's something you need to decide for yourself.
You might look into standard accessories, and do a net search for reviews to see how usable others feel it to be.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and enjoy.

macromaniacphotography

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Hey Dang...... you said something very intriguing....
Connecting the camera with the PC? I think it must be done with my Canon 40D...
I dont think it came with such a cable... but I'll check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a really GOOD idea~~~!! Thanks a lot

ILY

dang

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi Ily,
Check your manual, If I recall right it can be connected a couple of different ways. One is via the computer USB connection.
If you have any problems finding the info in your manual, try searching with Google and you should find plenty.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
:wink:

sheila

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 pm

I use Zigview a lot as I tend to take a lot of candid shots. Its perfect for this type of photography. Apparently the model I have has been recently updated. My brother in law bought one for me from the UK a couple of years back and I find it indispensible. He recently sent me a brochure from the store which has a website http://www.warehouseexpress.com The brochure states the price is 199 pounds. (You can do the conversion!) The brochure states "An innovative Life Preview tilting and rotating 2.5" TFT LCD display with detachable remote screen facility and TV output. You can be approx 10 metres away from your camera and remotely release the shutter or alloww the motion sensor or integral timer to release it for you. Also allows you to take a video feed directly the the Zigview S2 to display on an external monitor, TV or directly to a Video/DVD recorder."

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

Board index Photography Technical Questions Zigview