Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash for macro?

Technical Questions

Flash for macro?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
maxtulipes

Flash for macro?

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:04 am

I just tried my new flash on macro pictures and would like to know how to improve them...
It is the sigma EM 140DG macro... It is a ring flash...
Used in that serie, as a combination with the tamron 90mm MACRO.
Here is what I came up with after my first try:

And the full butterflies gallery...
How to make it look a bit more subtle? :roll:
Thanx!

prinothcat

Re: Flash for macro?

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:05 am

maxtulipes wrote:How to make it look a bit more subtle? :roll:
Thanx!

That's a pretty nice image as it stands. As for subtlety, are you shooting it full power? Perhaps a bit of exposure compensation would help to balance the natural light against the flash. I also wonder how the flash syncs with shutter release would affect your exposure, say regular verses slow sync.

maxtulipes

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 am

thanx, prinothcat...
I was in manual, underexposing of about 2 stops, using the flash in automatic, for compensation, using ETTL...
I was in high sync, at about 1/100 for speed...

prinothcat

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:00 am

maxtulipes wrote:thanx, prinothcat...
I was in manual, underexposing of about 2 stops, using the flash in automatic, for compensation, using ETTL...
I was in high sync, at about 1/100 for speed...

sounds like you've got a good grasp on things. As far as sync goes I was thinking more along the lines of where the flash fires in relation to the shutters passage.
My Nikon will sync to to the lead edge as the shutter opens, the trail edge right as it closes (slow sync) or I believe at the mid point of the exposure... At least that's how I understand it. I was wondering if you tried a slow sync setting, where the exposure is made based on available light first and then the flash adds it's contribution. I hope that made sense... My brain and fingers seem to not be talking to each other so clearly right now. :|

Also does the flash have a power setting? Can you cut it's output, and expose at "normal" instead of -2? It might get you the same overall exposure value, but cut down on any glare from the flash.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash for macro?