Board index Photography Technical Questions converting a file

Technical Questions

converting a file

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ricklester

converting a file

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 am

I cant edit my photos because thay are CR2 files how do I convert them to jpeg? Eny help please
Rick

dougj

Re: converting a file

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 am

CR2 are Canon RAW image files, you have 2 programs on the Canon CD that came with your camera to perform the RAW to JPG or TIF conversion. ZoomBrowser is one program, and depending on the camera you could also use Digital Photo Professional (DPP). Install the programs on your computer, and then go to *any* Canon website and download the program updates, and the instructions on how to use the program(s) and work with RAW files. The latest version of DPP works nicely. There are a number of other RAW converters, some free and some for a fee, but DPP is a good starting point.

ricklester

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks for the help I had to update my system. Thanks again for the help
Rick

khun_k

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 am

CR2 is proprietary format from Canon, there are quite a few software in the market, besides Canon's DPP - Apple Aperture 2, Adobe Lightroom 2, Adobe Camera RAW, Capture One 3.7.x and Capture One 4.x which all render varies quality (with focus on perhaps different image quality criteria). The most recent Lightroom 2/or Camera RAW 4.5 allow you to profile your camera and able to develop the CR2 in Adobe environment with exact rendering from Canon DPP is perhaps needs to be considered as current leader. I use Capture One 3.7.8 and 4.1.1 for CR2 from my 1Ds MK3 and found the latest Canon DPP did a very good job compare to their previous release. Aperture 2 from Apple is also good but I don't use it much and can't say much. You can also convert the CR2 file to DNG, which eventually might be a better standard.

Board index Photography Technical Questions converting a file