Board index Photography Technical Questions Depth of Field

Technical Questions

Depth of Field

Discuss technical aspects of photography
rugbyleaguer

Depth of Field

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I am new to photography and just exploring my new camera (A Canon 450D with a Tamron 70-300mm lens & 18-55mm lens) just messing about with DOF and wondered how some people create the shots of cars with a very shallow DOF. That is to say the car is completely in focus at a say 3/4 angle and everything around it is blurred. I can create said effect on smaller objects but not a car, or is it a case I would need a different lens?

jypsee

Re: Depth of Field

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:06 pm

For what you want, I use photoshop or else I get very close; any distance at most apertures will not give you much of a background blur

photoshopped

close up at f/2.8

further back at f/2.8

click the photo for a larger view

Mary in SW Florida

gemmf

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 pm

I think the issue here is you tend to be using a wider lens when you shooting a car at this angle, so it can be hard to get a shallow DoF. But if you get close to the car, use a large aperture, and select a good background (far away from the car), then it can be achieved.

(click the pic for larger image)

....but still not as effective as using a longer lens.

rugbyleaguer

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:27 pm

I am still getting to grips with my camera, need to read up on it a little lol, I can do the effect in photoshop no problem as i have done on some pics of my dog (see http://www.blazethemalamute.co.uk) to give a DOF look but I was told by a car dealer that it is possible with the right camera and lens to do it (not that I bought the camera just for that lol). Like I said I can get a good DOF on smaller objects/people/portraits just thought maybe a different lens would make it easier to achieve on larger stuff such as cars? Could it be because the lenses need to go lower than the 3.5 with the 18-55mm or 4-5.6 the 70-300mm gives me? But thanks for all your help.

peirceman

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:41 am

Instead of using a wide lens, use a telephoto and step back. A tele with a wide open aperture has a much shollower DOF than a shorter lens at the same aperture. You make need to crop, but I think you will have more success at what you are trying to accomplish.

r_karcz

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:48 pm

if you want a car whit everything blured around, make it drive and shot while it s rolling

Board index Photography Technical Questions Depth of Field